Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chicago: where to escape to write a proposal for 10 hours straight?

Old Nov 6th, 2011, 05:46 PM
kit
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in town working on a project for someone. Where is a good, marginally quiet place I can go with my laptop and work on a proposal? If I were in New York, I'd go to to the NY Public Library and hunker down with my laptop and write this thing. If I were in DC, I would go to the atrium of the National Potrait Gallery. I do not need research resources, so it doesn't need to be a library, but I am needing a more formal experience than a wifi cafe. I'm located in Old Town, so someplace I could get to by public transportation would be great. I sincerely appreciate any suggestions you have. Thank you! (I have an aircard, so a wifi connection is not necessary.)
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 06:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Loyola of Chicago Watertower campus library?
Northwestern Memorial Hospital Health Library?3rd or 4th floor..Galter wing, I think..
Chicago Public Library?
See if the Chicago History Museum has a quiet space..it's near Old Town.
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 06:15 PM

If you're in Old Town, the Near North Branch of the Chicago Public Library is at 310 W Division, between Wells and Sedgwick. It's open M & W noon to 8 pm and Tu & Th 10-6.

The Harold Washington (Main) Library at 400 S State (at Jackson) has more consistent hours. It's open M-Th 9:00 to 9:00; Fri and Sat 9:00 - 5:00 and Sun noon to 5:00. It's accessible via the Brown or Red Line to The Loop or the Number 22, 36 or 151 buses.

Another option would be to take the Brown Line, Red Line or Number 8 (Halsted) bus north to Fullerton to the DePaul University Library at 2350 N Kenmore, about a block west of the Fullerton Red/Brown Line station and is usually open until midnight.
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 06:37 PM
kit
Original Poster

These are great. One of the campus libraries might be best.
It is my experience that they are usually more generous with the snacks than the public library systems! Am assuming you don't need to be a student to sit at the tables and work. If anyone reading this knows otherwise, holler! Thank you both!
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 07:59 PM

If you're not a member, there's a $5/day fee to use the research center at the Chicago History Museum. It's also a relatively small space.