Reload this Page >

Chicago Wedding Location

Search

Chicago Wedding Location

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2001, 07:40 AM
Carol

Chicago Wedding Location

I recently relocated to Wheaton, Illinois which is a far west suburb of Chicago. I also just got engaged and will be getting married in a little over a year. We would like to have the wedding and reception in Chicago, but I am unfamilar with the city and downtown area. Does anyone have ideas for the perfect location? This will not be a church wedding and we will have 250-300 people. I have been told that you must put deposits down at lest 9mo. in advance and sometimes even a year, so we want to get started planning right away. I know there are a number of Chicago people on this board so I am begging for your help!

Old May 18th, 2001, 09:08 AM
Beth

While certainly not unique or unusual, the hotels along Michigan Avenue are very popular. I recently attended a wedding reception at the Hotel Intercontinental that was absolutely breathtaking and I'm sure expensive. These places do book a year sometimes more in advance. As i have only lived in chicago 2 years I cannot help with original locations sorry.

Old May 18th, 2001, 09:30 AM
Anna

My niece had a book a couple of years ago when she was planning her wedding that listed all kinds of places in and around the city from fancy restaurants to historic homes to museums and park shelters. It was a great book but I don't know where she got it. A wedding planner perhaps?

Old May 18th, 2001, 09:51 AM
Jeanette

Being totally a south sider and South or SW Suburbs person I know of lots of original places that would be too far from Wheaton. BUT I have been to several in the Western suburbs and of all different price ranges. Do you know that Chicago is one of the last places where many average income people still do the huge wedding?

There are some really nice $$$ places in Oakbrook. There is the William Tell in the Lagrange area that does the standard / nice wedding. You may check with your local golf/ country clubs as they may have wonderful settings that are rented out and not just used by members. My daughter did this and we had a tremendous wedding in a Unitarian church (Frank L. Wright building) and then to the garden rooms of the Silver Lakes Country Club in Orland Park. I've had cousins' children use the rooms at Navy Pier, but way beyond my price range. Also went to one at the Drake and it was fantastic but so formal that the people didn't look like they were having much fun.

If I were you, I would attend a bridal fair in your area and this would include representatives from many service people in your neck of the woods. There are some really original place ideas out there. My favorite would be the B'ai Hai Temple up North or one of the garden estates of the SW burbs (like Odyssey) that you can rent for the occasion.

Just a thought, but the best wedding we ever had was about 8 years ago. My oldest son rented out a VFW hall in the small town of Lockport and it was entirely done by her 8 brothers and sisters (all older) except for the food, which was catered. There were almost 400 people and about 50 kids sleeping on chairs by the end. It lasted until morning and people are still talking about it. There was a band and a dj who took turns and people danced until they couldn't dance any more. Many stayed at both mine and her mother's house for the next day. I wish you luck in finding the wedding that fits you, your partner and your families. Not an easy task, I know.

Old May 18th, 2001, 10:20 AM
pat

since this is not a chuch wedding,the following will be great and really give guests a "feel" for chicago.
1)facilities at Chicago Historical Society.
2)Lincoln Park Zoo -- there is a room that is regularly rented out for special occasions.
3)The Field Museum also has an area for rental too.

Hope this helps.

Old May 18th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Lexma90

About 13 years ago, I was married in downtown Chicago. We did the big-city wedding thing, which was a real treat for many of my family & friends, who live in more rural areas; they spent a city weekend at the wedding & sightseeing in Chicago. The reception was at the Allerton, right downtown, with views from the top-floor banquet room over the city & the lake. Be aware (though I'm sure you figured it out) that weddings in the downtown area are more expensive.

And yes, deposits are put down A LONG time in advance.

Old May 18th, 2001, 12:25 PM
kristy

Hi Carol:

may I suggest you go over to this message board... http://www.theknot.com/co_mbmain2kto...bject=C2001001

There are tons of brides there that can answer your question (seriously this place is packed with people). I have never seen one post go unanswered and the last question that I posted got over 50 responses. I have been going to this message board for over a year and have gotten some amazing advice for my wedding which, incidentally will be in Chicago as well. Good luck and happy planning.

Kristy

Old May 18th, 2001, 12:27 PM
jhm

Congratulations!!!
I went to a friend's wedding at the Chicago Historical Society. It was great. The ceremony was outdoors (although there was certainly room to have it indoors), and the setting was lovely and convenient to downtown Chicago. A lot of guests came into town for the wedding and were able to stay in downtown Chicago and enjoy themselves all weekend.

Good luck!

Old May 24th, 2001, 07:29 AM
Laura

Check out the Chicago Cultural Center...very beautiful, and the Lincoln Park Zoo (they have a very beautiful room as well). Two completely different types of locations, but both very nice and unique.

Old May 24th, 2001, 12:39 PM
KB

Carol,

We just got married last Sept. at Montefiori, a gorgeous estate in Lemont owned (lived in) and run by the family that owns the Como Inn downtown. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and gardened, the food is excellent and served HOT!, and the folks who run it do a superb job and handle every contingency with ease. (The strap on my wife's dress snapped after an over-enthusiastic hug in the receiving line and one of the proprietors was ready with needle and thread in seconds! Amazing!!). You absolutely can't go wrong here. Best wishes!

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 05:14 PM
YouMustBeKidding

The William Tell Inn? Yikes. Not only is the place a ticky tack Disney replica of a castle on the outside, a man was kicked to death when a huge brawl broke out between 2 weddings in the late summer/early fall of 2000. www.chicagomag.com/news/0901/reporter.htm is a piece you might want to read before you consider booking there. Of particular interest in this article is the fact that the cops were called 110 times in one year regarding unruly guests/alcohol related fights etc. at the hotel - that's approximately one visit from the cops every 3 days. Can you say white trash?

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 03:22 AM
ima

Can you say "stupid" the link you gave does not work. I know which place you are talking about and it is not the William Tell. It is Royalty West on Archer ave in Willow Springs. Duh, duh, duh, get your facts in line before you make false statements. Duh, duh, or learn to read.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 03:28 AM
jesse

IMA it seems you are the dipshit. It was and still is the Holiday Inn which is part of the William Tell. I know that the other place you are talking about. It is also a fake castle and does have its share of fights. There was 1 death last year as a result as fights. Duh , duh ,duuuuuuuuuh.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 03:45 AM
You'veGotToBeKidding

Jesse --

I did have a typo in the link - it's www.chicagomag.com/news/0901reporter.htm. Sorry to have offended your sensibilities. I'd love to hear back from you after the read the article.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 03:46 AM
You'veGotToBeKidding

sorry, jesse - that last post should have been directed to "ima"

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 05:13 AM
H

Ima - i read the article cited by You'veGotToBeKidding. Although your use of "duh" several times in the same sentence is quite impressive, it appears your attack was premature - not to mention flat out wrong.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 05:36 AM
Former Chicagoan

It's pricey, but the ballroom at the Chicago Hilton on Michigan is absolutely gorgeous.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 10:03 AM
Katie

Another to vote to avoid the William Tell Inn. Sorry Jeanette.

Carol - what sort of price range are you considering? That will help us give you some direction.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 11:30 AM
xxx

Are you considering a hotel or an alternative location?

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 11:35 AM
Anon

I'm not sure if anyone noticed bu Carol posted this question 8 MONTHS ago. She has most likely already found a location. I am not sure why someone topped the post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -