Reload this Page >

Chicago Weather in August...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:32 AM
What

People say I'm nuts for planning my trip to Chicago in the middle of August. Well, I can't go at any other time, so what type of clothes should we pack and just exactly how sticky, hot will it be at that time of year?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:44 AM
richard

August is typically hot....90/100s. On the other hand, it's Chicago, could be 50. Shorts during the day and dressier for the evening. Although hot, I've always found things like heat on vacation don't bug me (not like you're trucking to the office in a suit on the bus).

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:57 AM
What

richard,
you might think this is a silly question...but many people get a base tan before going to Hawaii so they won't get burned..Are people in Chicago into that (tanning)?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Beth

I think your friends are nuts personally. To me, summer is the BEST time to visit Chicago. Lots of dining alfresco, you can relax on the beach, enjoy the outdoors etc. It definitely depends on what you are used to though. I am from Nashville TN originally and lived in DC before moving to Chicago. Both DC and TN had much worse heat and hunudity so this is mild to me. August in Chicago may be as low as the high 70s (like today) or as high as 95 (like a couple of weeks ago. Humidity will be lowedr than in the southeast (nothing like FL, DC or Atlanta for instance) but higher than out west. I think the only problem wioth August may be the crowds, so book early and be prepared to stand in line most places. Just to give you an idea of our ever changing weather, I wen to Six Flags over Labor Day weekend last year and it was in the low 70s and I had to wear jeans as it was to chilly for shorts in the morning hours. You can never tell . . .. .

That being said, you should probably pack mostly shorts and summer clothes, but beware indoors is sometimes chilly if you are dressed too summery. I personally would bring a light sweater to wear indoors especially places like the planetarium, they really crank the A/C

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 09:08 AM
kal

Alooohaaa all,
Yes, we too have friends that thought we were crazy for using the words "vacation, Chicago and August" all in one sentence!

We love it and will be returning this Aug. for 10 days of baseball,friends, food, music, museums, etc.

Shorts and Hawaiian shorts, Cool Max sport shirts, Chacos and a hat...and SPF30+!
Light trousers and loafers for any "fancy" dinner we may be roped in to.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate because too many Old Styles or The Goose will drain ya!

Our last 2 August trips we have lucked out and encountered unseasonably cool weather. Last year I don't recall it getting over 82 degrees. Good Travel Karma?

Mahalo,
Kal

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Beth

Just saw your other question about tanning and would have to say the answer is no. Most people I know including me refuse to get into the sun without full sunscreen. They know the risks of skin cancer not to mention the wrinkles, the sun causes. That being said, I slap a little sunless tanning lotion on my legs and arms in the summer so I don't look like a complete ghost but I wouldn't say I look tan either. Most women in my office do not wear hose with their suits in the summer so they put a little color on their legs, but I think most people have wised up pto the dangers of sun worshiping. Being tanned is certainly not a necessity.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 09:28 AM
What

Beth, Kal-thanks for the additional info. it is very helpful. I'm traveling the same week as you, Kal.

Can either of you recommend nice, clean hotels in the Magnificent Mile area that are reasonably priced (no more than $200) or is that being unrealistic?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 09:35 AM
kal

What2,
We got the Westin on No Mich. for $75 on Priceline.com. I think it was listed as a 3* hotel in NoMich area.

We've been having lotsa luck in SF, Napa and Chicago in using P'line, Hotwire and biddingfortravel.

Only downside is if you don't go-you still pay...in 99.9% of the cases.
PLAY BALL !!!!!
Kal

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Lori

Bring a sweater/jacket & a pair of jeans just to be safe. My visit last August was surprisingly cold and rainy... ended up on Michigan Ave shopping for jeans! Luckily, I found a TJ Maxx nearby....

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 01:12 PM
patg

You'll want mostly shorts, summery skirts with as little as possible underneath, and one pair of lightweight pants. Might want to plan on a few extra tops because the humidity can be intense. Here's a weird one: although you will be staying in the midst of one the greatest shopping areas around, the clothing offered will be for fall. So, if you need an extra sweater, you'll be with reach of thousands, but if you need an extra tank top, it's strictly the dregs of the markdown racks!