Search

Chicago Trip report

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 10:30 AM
rachel

Chicago Trip report

Met the family in Chicago for Thanksgiving and had a blast. Stayed at the Omni Chicago Hotel. Great location on Michigan Avenue, near great shopping. Hotel was very nice and staff was terrific. All suite hotel with pull out sofa in the living area. Great for our family. Bed was really comfortable and street noise was minimal. Rate we got thru Quikbok was so good (included breakfast for 2 each day) we almost felt guilty. Speaking of food, the hotel restaurant was great, although we only ate breakfast there. We went to Giardonos (sp) for pizza, Ed Debevics for the kids, The Palm (great steaks) and Grande Luxe Cafe (nicer Cheesecake Factory) which was absolutely beautiful and the food was good too. I'm They have several desserts you order early which are then fresh baked for you. It was too cold to go to the parade on thanksgiving but we did get to the Merchantile Exchange the day before which is more fun to see than the NY Stock Exchange because you are allowed to stay and watch the trading go on for as long as you like. Having the luxury of time allows you to follow traders and learn the signals. Also saw a terrific exhibit on Pearls at the Field Musuem. There was also a special chocolate exhibit but the pearl exhibit was much better. As always, I am in awe at the architecture. If I were younger, I might aspire to become a journalist just to work in the Tribune building. It has pieces of other famous buildings incorporated into its exterior walls. Finally, we did our share to help the Chicago economy by shopping on Michigan Avenue. Most amazing were the lines for Garretts popcorn (always a 45 minute or more line) and American Girl Store-selling dolls, clothes, accessories, outfits for girls, doll hospital, cafe (to have tea with your doll) and hairdressers for the dolls! My husband and sons weren't interested, but I snuck in for a look and was amazed. We saw more people carrying bags from this store than any other. Now that I'm home with a foot of snow it's time to start planning our next adventure.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:16 PM
XXX

rachel,

If you want to be a journalist, please learn to use paragrahs. It makes your intersting trip report much, much easier to read and appreciate.

XXX

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:22 PM
x

Nice report but the above poster is correct, too hard to read without paragraphs.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 05:38 PM
ll

For pete's sake, people! Don't be so critical. There are way too many perfect people on this board!

Chicago's a great place. Glad you had a good time.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 05:54 PM
Mike

Disregard the nitpicking. Glad you enjoyed your trip, thanks for sharing. Also pleased and maybe surprised, that you enjoyed your trip to the Mercantile Exchange. I work there, and maybe I take it for granted, but to me its just where I work and nothing special.