Reload this Page >

Chicago transportation experts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 11:04 PM
Caren

Taking a daytrip downtown with teens from the burbs. We always drive downtown and pay to park near Grant Park or Navy Pier, but this year I was thinking of taking the train.
That should be easy enough, but, once I get to Union Station I'm at a loss. I'd like to take the kids on the "L". Is there a scenic route? What about the free trolley? Is it too crowded? We tried to take the trolley once before, but it never showed up and we ended up cabbing. Busses would be ok, too.

This years destinations, Seadogs at Navy Pier, Lincoln Park Zoo, Museum of Contemporary Art, Old Navy on State, good pizza, and Buckingham fountain at night. Is this too much to try in one day. Any thoughts on a good itinerary would be appreciated.

Thanks, Caren

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 05:54 AM
StaySea

When you leave Union Station, just cross the street to the bridge/canal area. The trolley stops there about every 15 minutes I think. It is free, although it takes a little longer than a cab. There are 3 routes (each designated by a symbol-a square, triangle and a diamond?), one going to Navy Pier, one to the aquarium area, and one that will take you shopping on the miracle mile- I think. You can get a schedule on the trolley. We used the trolley when we went about a month ago and it was great. Your itinerary sounds a bit packed, but maybe you can squeeze it all in!

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 08:37 AM
marilyn

The L is not going to help you get to any of the places you mention, and I'm sort of at a loss to put them into any kind of order that will make sense for touring. Maybe eliminate Old Navy on State? You probably have a comparable store in your area. Unless you are staying only briefly at the Zoo and Navy Pier, I think fitting in the Museum of Contemporary Art will also be hard. Actually, if you did two days, the second day could combine State Street with the Museum.

I would decide whether to start at Navy Pier or the zoo, and my choice would be the zoo. I'm not an expert on the free trolley, but there used to be a 153 bus that went through the park and the route was very scenic. You could also get a bus from Lincoln Park back at least to Michigan Avenue area, maybe stopping for the pizza at lunch. Then on to the pier for the Sea Dog.

Maybe conclude with either State Street or MCA, then swing by the fountain. By that time I would be so bushed it would HAVE to be a cab.

Another idea might be to take the boat from the station--commuters, doesn't this run in the summer to the Michigan Avenue bridge?--and start at the pier, or catch the 153 bus on Michigan Avenue, proceed to the zoo, and then maybe eliminate the Seadog?

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 03:43 PM
patg

How long are you planning on spending in the city? You have a fairly ambitious itinerary, not ridiculous, but one that doesn't really allow the "luxury" of a CTA ride. How about this:

Arrive shortly after 9 a.m at Union Station. Grab a cab to the Lincoln Park Conservatory, which is adjacent to the north entrance of the zoo. Walk south, taking in as much of the zoo as you like. (The southernmost end, the Farm in the Zoo, is pretty much a snooze for teenagers.) When you've tired of the zoo, grab a cab on the west side of the zoo and head to the MCA. You will have to eat about now; the MCA has a nice cafe, and Water Tower Place, a block north, has several teen-friendly places.

After lunch, take the free shuttle to Navy Pier for your boat ride. (www.chicagotrolley.com) There are usually lines for the boat, even on a weekday. From there, you could take the shuttle back to Michigan Avenue near Grand, and walk to Old Navy - it's a great stroll, about 3/4 of a mile long. From Old Navy it's, again, 3/4 of a mile or so to Buckingham Fountain, then almost a straight shot west to Union Station. Allow 30 minutes to walk the last stretch; it's approximately 1.5 miles. It's a very full day, but would be a lovely chance to experience the city from a grand perspective - its sidewalks.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 03:51 PM
patg

Sorry, I gave the wrong address for the free trolley. It should be
http://www.chicago.il.org/TROLLEY_FRAME.HTM

I didn't mention that you would have to take the Michigan Avenue trolley south and change around Grand Ave. (just north of the Tribune/Wrigley building) then go downstairs to get the eastbound trolley to Navy Pier. A cab is a lot easier!

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 09:40 PM
Caren

Thanks, for all the great advice. I think I'll leave the museum for our winter trip. So, much to do, so little time. Our downtown trips usually begin early and end very late. I think we will start at the zoo and then head to navy pier for the seadogs. Then I'll see how we stand on time. Kids will probably want to spend more time and money at NP anyway. Either way whenever we take the trip, it usually turns out to be a memorable adventure.