Reload this Page >

Chicago-Skokie Hotels, What's to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 09:40 AM
Karen

I'm going to be staying at the Doubletree in Skokie next month. What is this hotel like?
Also, this will be my first time Chicago what are some good things to do? Are there tours of the City on the weekends? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 04:10 PM
Kristi

Near to where you are staying is Old Orchard shopping center which has a lot of the stores that are also on Michigan Avenue in Chicago-Bloomingdales, Marshall Fields, Nordstroms, Saks. There are also a couple of good restaurants near the mall-Maggiano's for Italian food and Cheesecake Factory.

You might want to look into public transportation into the city as driving can be quite congested and parking expensive. There is an "L" line that runs into the city from Skokie, look at www.yourcta.com for more information, looks like it doesn't run on the weekend from Skokie. There is also probably a Metra train that runs from near there, look at www.metrarail.com for schedules (Morton Grove might be the closest stop), the front desk at your hotel can probably tell you which is better.

There is a good website for Chicago at www.metromix.com, there may be some information on tours there.

Chicago has a lot of great musuems depending on your tastes. The Art Institute, the Shedd Aquarium, the Field Musuem, and the Museum of Science and Industry are all great museums. If the weather is nice, I've heard the architectural boat tours are quite good.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 09:15 AM
kim

Hi Karen,

I do not know about the hotel, but being in Skokie, you will be near Evanston. You might want to spend some time wandering around Evanston near Northwestern - there are many funky shops and coffee houses. There are bus tours of Chicago - I think they leave from Navy Pier. I don't know if the boat tours still run in October. There will be plenty for you to do: museums, theater, probably still some festivals around, shop mag mile, walk along the waterfront, catch some blues and jazz.

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 06:30 AM
marilyn

This hotel was formerly the North Shore Hilton, and I think it might have been a Westin too at one time. Pretty standard hotel, located on a commercial street in Skokie, which is west of Evanston. Sure, there are lots of tours, museums, restaurants, etc. Also check the metromix.com for specific events on your dates. Your hotel is in Chicagoland, not really Chicago. You could take metra, either el or railroad, downtown to actually see Chicago.

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 05:14 PM
Karen

Thank you all for your suggestions! I really appreciate it.