Chicago: Rogers Park, Edgewater, Suburbs???

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago: Rogers Park, Edgewater, Suburbs???

Thanks to everyone for replying to my earlier posts regarding moving to Chicago! I like your style and knowledge.

I will obviously be checking out these neighborhoods myself (as much as possible), but since we have very little time and funds to get an apartment due to Hurricane Katrina, I’m trying to weed out as much as possible before we hunt for an apartment. We only have 3 days to actually look before we make a decision for an immediate move-in and the more info the better. I really appreciate it!

Ok, so far; my choices would be #1 Lincoln Square (& Ravenswood, I guess) and then Andersonville, but I’m worried about the cost. What about Rogers Park?…safe, convenient to the L, shops, restaurants, cafes? Charming? Edgewater? Are there any UNsuburban-like affordable suburbs that younger people move to?

Any info would be so appreciated! Please email me directly, if possible, [email protected]

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Tara
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 05:28 PM
JJ5

I'm sorry I can't help you with more specific information, but this I do know. Chicago is huge. You would probably be happiest in the areas you have detailed.

BUT, many young people, and some of college age that I know VERY well, would not choose those at all. Space/economics/etc. etc. etc.

There are some young people that choose to live in the Western suburban areas like Oak Park or Maywood etc. for example. But again, you do have to KNOW the areas to choose good housing, even for rental, IMHO.

Why don't you investigate temporary rentals (like a craigslist)and really check a few things out yourself. Like a lot of big city property- two to 4 blocks difference in distance could be worlds apart in living quality.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 04:12 AM

I would probably avoid Rogers Park for now. It's getting better, but there are still a lot of rough areas. With such a short time frame, you probably don't want to make a quick decision in this neighborhood. Edgewater is a little better, and if you can't find something you can afford in Ravenswood, Lincoln Sq., or Andersonville, it could be an option. Stiill, if you can afford it, your first three choices would be your best bet. They have everything you're looking for and while they may be a little more expensive, they are very nice places to live. And it's not permanent, you're only renting. You'll have a year to explore Chicago, and if you find someplace you like better (and the north side is only a tiny fraction of Chicagoland), you can always move.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 07:15 AM

Rogers Park is very hit or miss-near Loyola isn't too bad but it can change building to building. Don't know much about Edgewater. Oak Park/River Forest and Evanston are close in suburbs but they aren't going to save you much $$.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 07:21 AM

I would avoid Rogers Park until you move here and get a feel for the place, there are some very nice sections of Rogers Park, and there are some sections that are not so nice (and dangerous) and they are not immediately apparent on a short visit either. You have to know what street or what 'el' stop it is okay to live off of, as other have pointing out, it changes from street to street (especially if you come home late at night).

I've heard that Edgewater is vastly and quickly improving, but when I lived there 15 years ago, it wasn't all that pleasant. I've not been back much since I've moved from that neighborhood, but I've been to Rogers Park quite a bit since I've lived there, so I'm a bit more familiar with it.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 07:57 AM

Hi Tarajane,

Lincoln Square, Ravenswood and Andersonville will not disappoint -- very nice, quiet, neighborhoods with lots of access to trains, restaurants, and pretty easy street parking (compared to LIncoln Park or Lakeview). I'd avoid Rogers Park/ Uptown/ Edgewater/ Loyola for your first year -- can be sketchy, fairly safe as long as you're used to a city, but for such a big change, why add to your stress, right?

Best of luck! Chicago is a great, friendly city! You'll love it!
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 08:48 AM

Hi Tara,

I will agree with the others about Rogers Park. I lived there my first 2 years in Chicago.

We chose an apartment in Rogers Park because we got a lot more space there for the money than in Evanston (the only places we were considering so we could be near work in Evanston).

We were only 1 1/2 block from the Loyola el stop (one of the favored areas), but honestly I never felt very safe walking around there a night.

Also you mentioned you wanted some restaurants, shops to walk to in a charming area. Again, IMHO, Rogers Park doesn't fit the bill here either. Except for a few coffee shops, sandwich shops, you will most likely find yourself shopping and eating out in other neighborhoods. We now live in Evanston and are much happier, even though we have less living space!

Lincoln Square, Andersonville, and Ravenswood are probably more of what you're looking for.

Have fun in Chicago!