Reload this Page >

Chicago restaurant recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 09:58 AM
hi there

I'm going to be in Chicago next week and would like to go to a German restaurant (beer, brats, no leiderhosen). Any suggestions?

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 10:09 AM
KB

Two suggestions:

Berghoff's, the oldest brewpub in Chicago, is downtown.

Mirabell is a neighborhood place on the northside (on Addison St. just east of the blue line el stop).

I'd recommend Mirabell (better food and atmosphere).

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 11:21 AM
hi there

Thanks KB! Do I need to make a reservation at Mirabell?

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 12:30 PM
Heather

I agree that Berghoff's is a tad touristy (tho no leiderhosen) and overrated. I looked up two restaurants that friends have recommended and here are the reviews:

Resi's Bierstube
2034 W. Irving Park Rd.
773-472-1749

For German authenticity and warmth it's tough to beat Resi's. Since 1972, the tavern has been run by owners Herbert and Ingeborg Stober, originally from Karlsruhe, Germany. Old immigrants and young urbanites alike frequent the restaurant-bar for its sausage-heavy menu and its wide selection of most European imported beer. There are 13 German beers on tap and another 130 foreign beers in the bottle. Weiss beer lovers have a selection of 3 taps and 24 bottles all their own. In the summer, Resi's has one of the best, and certainly one of the most well-hidden, beer gardens in the city--two large maple trees tower over a flower box-trimmed patio.

Hours: 3 p.m.-2 a.m. Monday through Friday; 2 p.m.-3 a.m. Saturday; 3 p.m.-1 a.m. Sunday

Mirabell Restaurant
3454 W. Addison St.
773-463-1962

This cozy, lodge-like restaurant is like a slice of the Fatherland transported to Irving Park. On a typical afternoon, three men chatter away in German over a beer at the main wooden bar, while German and Austrian melodies waft through the air laden with the smell of beer and wiener schnitzel. German hallmarks like beer steins and Hummel figurines are prominently displayed in the bar and adjoining dining room. Most were purchased in Germany. Owners Anita Heil and her husband, Werner (the chef), were born in Germany and opened Mirabell in 1977. Werner trained as a chef in Germany and now supervises three other cooks. Their son, Jeffrey, also works there. The restaurant draws a lot of German patrons, and is popular with many of the neighbors, Anita says. "We've been here a long time and people seem to like us," she says. Menu includes Old World classics like "schweinebraten" (roast loin of pork) veal dishes, poultry, steaks and lighter seafood. Entrees range from $9.95-$16.95.

Hours: 11:30-2:30 a.m. Monday through Saturday; closed Sunday.

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 12:48 PM
hi there

Thanks Heather!

My mouth is watering from the reviews. I'm glad I can enjoy beer and sausages without having to polka the night away.

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 06:33 AM
jen

Another vote for Resi's- there is NOTHING touristy about this place- fun, with a "neighborhood joint" kind of feel.