Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chicago--Omni Chicago v. Sutton Place-Opinions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 04:52 AM
btilke

It seems early to think about Thanksgiving holidays, but I need to book a hotel in Chicago soon because there's a huge convention in town that week and it hogs most of the hotel rooms (many hotels are sold out already). My two choices at this point are the Omni Hotel on Michigan Ave or Sutton Place near Oak Street. My mother (age 70) will be with me for the first few nights. The rates are roughly similar for the six nights I'll be there--an average of $255 for SP and $235 for Omni. Any opinions? This is a combination work/vacation trip. I've read good reviews about both hotels, but have seen some not so happy comments about the Omni on the Rants n Raves section here. Your feedback is appreciated!

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 05:13 AM
mary

I've stayed at the Omni, but not Sutton Place. Friends have stayed at Sutton Place and they highly recommend it. Gibson's Steakhouse is across the street, and Whiskey Bar is in the lobby, with Jilly's piano bar next door. The Omni suites are nice and on Michigan Ave, so you might have a view of the Ave all lit up for the holidays. If you are there the weekend before Thanksgiving they have the "Lighting of Michigan Ave." with parade, fireworks, etc. It has a restaraunt/bar that overlooks Michigan Ave from the second floor. Either would be a nice place, which location do you favor? Have fun.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 08:11 AM
deb

The Omni is in a great location, I don't know about the Sutton. However, the help there (Omni)had an "attitude", and a month after our stay my credit card was charged for an additional $25.00. I called them and was told they did not make a mistake (attitude plus). The charge is a complete mystery, but life is short and I didn't like talking to these people so I let it go.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Priceline Fan

Anthony, If you are paying those kind of prices for a hotel of that quality in Chicago, I really think you should try Priceline. Go to www.biddingfortravel.com before you bid to get the scoop.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 09:28 AM
btilke

Priceline fan, the week I'm talking about is not a normal week where hotels are seeking travelers. The convention takes about 90% of downtown Chicago hotel rooms and many of those are already locked up. And I don't want to stay in a so-so hotel this time--I want something a cut above. I have heard other complaints about attitude problems at the Omni (thanks, Deb), so I may opt to go with the Sutton Place. It gets raves from every source I can find. No indoor pool or Mich. Ave location, but the rooms and service are supposed to be excellent. And it's a great Gold Coast (or thereabouts) location. FYI, the price for my room is actually $30 less per night than SP was charging for the same period in 2001 (and was sold out at that rate).

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 10:10 AM
pj

Iliked the omni alot, never had problems. my favs are hotel burnham talbott hotel monaco. Try quickbook.com for 149.oo thanksgiving weekend, you could stay at Le Meridien.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Priceline fan

Anthony, I hear you, but still think it's worth a try. Both hotels you mentioned are 4* Priceline, plus

Westin Chicago River North
Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers
Doubletree Guest Suites Chicago – Downtown
W Chicago Lakeshore
Swissotel Hotel Chicago
Hotel Burnham Chicago
Renaissance Chicago Hotel
Hyatt Regency Chicago

Le Meridien is a five-star choice.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 01:56 PM
btilke

Priceline fan, you'll have to trust me on this--I've done my research and have narrowed it down to these two hotels. Here's your list:
Westin Chicago River North--much as I like the old Nikko, I don't care for the River North location, it's too far removed from the upper Mich. Ave area for my 70 yo mother, esp. if the weather's bad
Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago--have stayed here before, the SP and Omni are both a cut above
Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers--also a less convenient location.
Doubletree Guest Suites Chicago--have also stayed here and it's nice, but had a creepy experience late one night, so no thanks
W Chicago Lakeshore--costs more than my hotel choices
Swissotel Hotel Chicago--again, location is out, also find this hotel too staid
Hotel Burnham Chicago--more the State Street scene, I want upper Mich Ave/Gold Coast/Oak Street
Renaissance Chicago Hotel--heard mixed reviews on this one
Hyatt Regency Chicago--already sold out.

However, I did check on Priceline. Their North Mich Ave selection actually covers quite a wide area, which makes it too much of a crap shoot (I might as well use the convention reservation service). I have very specific criteria for this trip (quality of rooms, convenient location for my mother and myself, including being at or about the starting point for the chartered convention bus route, etc.).

For all these reasons, Priceline is simply not an option for me on this trip. So, I'd like to underscore that I'm interested in feedback only on the two hotels I've mentioned.

Thanks, however, for your suggestion and I may try Priceline another time when I don't have such specific needs.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Priceline Fan

OK, OK...just trying to save you some $$$. If you don't want to roll the dice, the next best bet is quickbook.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Danny

I was at the Omni last week and the staff couldn't have been nicer! In fact, it's one of my favorite US hotels.