Chicago-MI-WI-Chicago

Search

Chicago-MI-WI-Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago-MI-WI-Chicago

What do you think? Is this trip that I've put together too aggressive?

Monday
Leave Chicago, drive to Petoskey, MI. Stay @ Inn @ Bay Harbor

Tuesday
Drive fr Petoskey, MI to Mackinaw City. Ferry over to Mackinaw Island.
Drive to Whitefish Point

Wed
Tour Edmund Fitzgerald Museum
Drive to Door County
Indulge in a Fish Boil for dinner

Thur
Drive to Milwaukee
Stay overnight

Fri
Drive back to Chicago

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Fodorites are the best!
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 12:53 PM

The fish boil in Door County is a must. It seems to me that you are fitting too much into the Tuesday and Wednesday plan. I would add a day in there somewhere.

Are you going in the spring or summer? If so, I'd recommend hiking in Door County. Lots of great hikes and views there.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 01:05 PM
JJ5

Too much driving for the entire and not enough time at any of those places. You'll be in the car or sleeping far more than you'll be stopped to enjoy any venue you'll visit.

These distances are not short, and the driving is not always the easiest- especially the Chicago to Petoskey part.

Your're also missing all the best aspects of the Western MI/Lake Michigan areas that you'll pass by and never see. The roads are NOT on or near the Lakefront in most cases.

Sleeping Bear, Sand Dunes at Mears and other areas near Traverse City- flown by.

It is too aggressive, IMHO. Is this for only one driver?
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 02:12 PM

Not clear about your Mackinaw Island plans, there are no cars allowed on the island and just what would you do there in a single day? Mackinaw Island in itself takes up a good 2 days/nights.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 02:14 PM

Also, why can't you take advantage of the 2 weekends before and after your week trip?
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 02:33 PM
TheWeasel

I find this itinerary to be rather curious, and I think it'd be helpful to have more info to understand it.

When is this trip? That would make a difference as to activities in each area, and whether to allot more or less time for each one.

What's the main purpose of the trip? Most people that go up to Mackinaw City have that as their main destination, but it seems you're only interested in it as a day trip. I can't tell if this is just a random road trip or if you want to see the sights.

Do you live in Chicago? (I'm assuming you do based on your screenname, but assumptions can be wrong) If so, there's no need to drive to Milwaukee on Thursday and stay overnight - it's so close to Chicago that you could easily go up there any weekend, and to me it makes more sense to spend that extra day somewhere else such as Mackinac Island or the UP. Likewise, Door Country could also be a weekend trip from Chicago, so I wouldn't put much emphasis on staying there overnight just for a fish boil.