Chicago - Long Weekend w/22 year old daughter

Jun 26th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Chicago - Long Weekend w/22 year old daughter

Visiting daughter in Chicago, she just moved to Lincoln Park, for a long weekend. Thinking of a dinner cruise? Any suggestions or is it worth it? Comedy Clubs, martini bars, great jazz/blues and last but not least Italian, Greek or just a great Chicago Landmark for dinner? Thanks so much!!
Jun 26th, 2007, 06:00 PM

Dinner cruise is so not worth it. If the temperature is nice, I'd eat on the rooftop at Pegusus in Greektown. You have to go early to avoid a long wait. Good food, phenomenal view, and fun scene with live music.

Cafe Ba Ba Reba in Lincoln Park is fun for tapas. Pasta Bowl is a great, inexpensive neighborhood pasta and salad place in Lincoln Park.

When my dad visits, he loves going to RL (Ralph Lauren's place, managed by Gibson's) on Michigan Avenue for brunch and Joe's for dinner (personally, I think their steaks are better than Gibson's and they also have great seafood). My mom loves Le Lan, an excellent French-Vietnamese restaurant. Both my parents love Japonais and Frontera Grill (no advance reservations - for same-day reservations, call first thing in the morning).

Whenever my parents are coming to town, I use Open Table (www.opentable.com) to figure out reservations for each night. Makes things a lot easier.

While here, I would suggest buying her a Lettuce Entertain you card. They own a ton of very good restaurants in town (at every price point), and the points really add up over time (you get a $25 gift card for every 325 points)...especially when parents visit. The card costs $25 but you get a $25 gift card once you use it twice.
Jun 26th, 2007, 07:36 PM

I was in Chicago this weekend and we decided to ask an employee at the Apple store on Michigan Avenue where a good pizza place was--no tourists--just a place where the locals like to go. He sent us to Pizano's. It is at the intersection of Chestnut and State(?) if I remember correctly. If you walk West on Chestnut from the John Hancock Center, you will run into it. From the map I'm looking at in my guidebook, Chestnut dead ends at State. The restaurant will be to your right. They are apparently "known" for their thin crust pizza. We tried it and it was wonderful and prices were very reasonable. Small pub atmosphere--we were the only tourists in the place. I definitely recommend it for dinner.

Have fun--and take a sweater. I looked at the weather channel before we went and didn't pack sweaters based on the forecast. We bought sweatshirts for everyone while we were there since I don't think it got over 72 degrees at the very highest this past weekend and it was usually colder and of course, windy!
Jun 26th, 2007, 07:52 PM

This weekend will be in the high 70s, low 80s. Should be beautiful. But bringing a sweater is always a good idea just in case.
Jun 26th, 2007, 07:54 PM

A little trivia for ya...

Chicago is not the Windy City because of the wind. In fact, it doesn't even make the top ten in the US. It was named the Windy City because of the windy politicians.
Jun 27th, 2007, 05:56 AM

We ate at a fun restaurant in Lincoln Park this past weekend: Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinders. They are noted for the Pizza Pot Pies, Oven Grinders, & Meditteranean Bread. Appeared to be mostly locals, not tourists. Great food, no credit cards.

Historically, the site was the "look-out" for the St. Valentine's Day Massacre which happened across the street.
Jun 27th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions!!! Thanks for everyone's time and thoughts.
Jun 27th, 2007, 07:27 AM
JJ5

I second Oven Grinder's but all of the above are great. My oldest son drives more than an hour each way to go to Oven Grinders every few months. It's his fix.

I think the Lettuce Ent. card is a great idea. I think I'm going to get one.
Jun 27th, 2007, 02:57 PM

IMHO, you don't go on the dinner cruise for the cuisine (which is OK, depending on which one you are choosing) but for the view, which can't be beat. Especially at night. NO better view of Chicago than that. Period. Odyssey is the classiest, by the way. But if you are going for just the view and not to eat, you might consider going on the Tall Ship Windy, which is a lot less expensive and they do have some in the evening.

If you wanted to go someplace special for dinner, though, I'd choose North Pond (in Lincoln Park on the north end of the lagoon). Beautiful location, lovely decor and wonderful cuisine. (Pricey, though - but not anywhere near the premier restaurants.) Also a great place for brunch.

Great Chicago landmark for drinks (don't recommend eating there, though - just OK food) would be going to the Signature Lounge on the 96th Floor of the John Hancock Building.

Great Chicago landmark for jazz - The Green Mill in Uptown. Read the full history of it on their website.

Great Chicago landmark for theatre - The Biograph Theatre on N. Lincoln Avenue in Lincoln Park. John Dillinger was gunned down by the Feds in the alleyway behind the theatre after he was betrayed by the "Lady in Red".

How much more "Chicago" can you get than that, you ask?

Another Great Chicago landmark for theatre - the historic Ford Center for the Performing Arts (aka Oriental Theatre) where Judy Gumm became Judy Garland - OR the Chicago Theatre. Both have tours available on certain dates.

Another Great Chicago landmark for theatre AND the architecture - the Auditorium Theatre. Tours available.

Great Chicago landmark for a free concert (certain evenings) - the Frank-Gehry designed Jay Pritzker Pavilion at Millennium Park. And you could take a picnic basket (with or without wine) to enjoy during the performance. "Cloud Gate" (aka "The Bean") is immediately to the south and the Crown Fountain is just beyond that.

Great Chicago landmark to enjoy at night - Buckingham Fountain - one of the largest in the world and is situated at the start of historic Route 66.

Restaurant in a Great Chicago landmark. The Atwood Cafe in the historic Reliance Building (the Hotel Burnham).

Great Chicago landmark with the art to go with it. The Art Institute - free on Thursday and Friday evenings (5-9 pm). A portion of the Art Institute was utilized during the World's Columbian Exposion of 1893; and it contains original drawings and plans of some of Chicago's leading architects, including an entire room of the old Chicago Stock Exchange building, designed by Louis Sullivan. If you only go to one museum when you are here, this is the one to choose, IMHO.
Jun 27th, 2007, 03:43 PM

If the weather is nice, another great place to get a drink is the rooftop bar/lounge at the Park Hyatt, especially after a long day of shopping on Michigan Avenue.
Jun 28th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

You are all incredible. Am going to diet now, bring my credit cards and eat, drink and shop my way through Chicago! Will post my adventure when I return.
Jun 28th, 2007, 06:54 PM

You're welcome. Let us know where you end up.

Have a great time!