Chicago Lake/River Cruises (Evening)

Old Sep 15th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago Lake/River Cruises (Evening)

My daughter's in-laws are going to be visiting from Ireland in a couple of weeks. My husband and I would like to take them on one of the evening lake/river cruises the first weekend in October, but know very little about them. What's the best company? Are the dinner cruises good?

My daughter and SIL plan to take them on the CAF cruise during the day at some point during their visit. So this would be purely for the view of the city at night from the lake.

Thanks!
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 07:39 PM

I've taken cruises both during the day and in the evening. The evening one was in December for a Christmas party. Because it was freezing cold we couldn't stand on the deck, and when you're inside, the lights inside the cabin reflect on the windows and make it difficult to see out to the city. So...that was my night-time experience, not so great. But hopefully the weather in October would be better so you can stand outside. I did like the day cruise much better, but it was a gorgeous sunny day in July. The food was disappointing on both cruises, not bad, but not as good as you'd hope for the price. Maybe others will weigh in with more encouraging stories! Sorry, I don't remember the names of the cruise companies.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, bniemand! Of course, in Chicago you never know what you're going to get weather-wise. But I'm hoping we might luck out and still have decent weather that weekend. However, I appreciate your sharing your experiences. It makes me realize maybe we'd better hold off on definite plans until we have a better idea of the weather.

Many years ago (probably over 20!) I did one of the evening cruises that just went out onto the lake and back, no dinner. Maybe we'd be better off doing one of those and then having dinner elsewhere?
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 08:47 AM

That's a good idea to dinner elsewhere. If I remember correctly, the evening dinner cruise was $75 per person. For that price I can think of 50 other places in the city with better food
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Good point, bniemand!
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Can anyone else recommend a company they particularly liked? Or steer me away from one they didn't?
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

It looks like Wendella has already stopped their sunset cruises for this season. But Shoreline has an 8:30 Fall Fireworks Cruise that Saturday. Anyone know anything about it? I'm wondering how much danger there is that it will sell out if we don't book soon.

Wow, you weren't kidding about how expensive the dinner ones are, bniemand! The ones I just looked at were over $100 pp!
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, to elaborate on my question in the last post... Does anyone know whether this is something we can wait and book the day of, when we know how the weather will be? Or, since they seem to only do one a week, will it be sold out?
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Actually, it looks like they do it twice a week. Guess I'll try to call the company and ask whether they sell out. And what our options are if we buy the tickets and the weather is really bad. Seems to me I've read that Navy Pier does the fireworks regardless of the weather?
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 12:15 PM
SAB

We recently took a Wendella river and lake night tour--the one we took left at 8:45. It is different from the sunset tour and takes 90 minutes; however it will be repetitive on the river of some of the AFI tour. Since we took the AFI tour a number of years ago, it was not an issue.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, SAB. Actually it was, in part, your mention in your TR of taking a cruise that made me realize I'd better start looking into this. I was hoping you might respond with some info on which tour you took.

I'll check to see whether that Wendella tour is also finished for the season (or will be by 10/3). But, as you pointed out, since they're planning to do the CAF tour, there may some repetition. I really like the sound of the fireworks tour. Just can't decide whether to go ahead and book it now, with no way of knowing how the weather will be. Obviously, that's a chance you take at any time of year. But I think even more so that late.

But I was glad to read in your report how much you enjoyed the view of the city from the lake. I think that would be a pretty impressive thing to share with my daughter's in-laws.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 04:32 PM
SAB

The view from the Lake was lovely and going through the lock to and from the Lake was very interesting. As I said in my TR I used to live in Chicago and even though I had been on the Lake in small boats before, even at night; it is such a different skyline now that the tour was really worth it. It looks as though Wendella still has the tour, but the last one is now 7pm not 8:45. The 90 min fall fireworks tour was not offered last week, if it had been I think we would have chosen it. Since it starts on the 18th, it would be a good bet that it will still be going on 10/3 (weather permitting).
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, SAB. The one Shoreline offers is definitely scheduled for October 3rd, but is 45 minutes. Is Wendella offering one too? I'll have to go back and check their website again.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 05:44 PM
SAB

Yup, and its a 90 min lake trip.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Found it! And it is scheduled for 10/3. I know this isn't the tour you took and that the one you did take probably sailed every night rather than just Friday and Saturday. But did you buy your tickets ahead of time?

Thanks again, SAB!
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 11:45 PM

If you decide to take a night cruise be sure to take something warm to wear. It gets really cold out on the water.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Good advice, cheribob! Considering how chilly it was last night in our living room, by then, on the water, we may need our heavy coats!
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 08:37 AM

Regardless of what the temperature is, IMHO, you don't want to be out on one of these cruises when the lake is choppy.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Also sounds like good advice, exiledprincess! So would you suggest waiting until the day of to purchase tickets?
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 02:04 PM
SAB

We just bought our tix in the am--but I have no idea how popular the fireworks trip is or whether it is a good idea to buy them in advance. Given weather considerations I would probably risk waiting until the am.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information