Chicago Hotels with Lake View

Feb 6th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Shannon

Chicago Hotels with Lake View

I'm from the Chicago area, but not very familiar with downtown.

Which hotels have the best views of the lake and Navy Pier and also fancy rooms? I'm looking for a nice place for a weekend stay to give as a gift to another couple.

Thanks!

Feb 6th, 2001, 02:01 PM
kristi

I've only stayed there once, but I think the Swissotel would fit your requirements -- although it's slightly removed from the bustle of Michigan Avenue.

Feb 6th, 2001, 02:08 PM
laken

The previous poster is right Swisshotel is known for its wonderful lake views but . . . if I were giving a weekend getaway to a couple, I would choose instead something on Michigan Avenue as these are the nicer (and more expensive hotels) some good choices would be the Four Seasons (connected to building which houses bloomingdale's) the Intercontinetal, and The Drake which has a great view from looking down Michigan Ave.

Feb 6th, 2001, 02:31 PM
lisa

I would choose the Drake.

Feb 6th, 2001, 02:40 PM
Marcie

I've stayed at the Westin on Michigan Ave. many times. Many of their rooms have lake views, but not all....I've had both. You may also call the Drake and the Doubletree as from the outside, I would guess that they too may have some lake view rooms.

Feb 6th, 2001, 02:48 PM
susan

We stayed at the Fairmont last summer and had a fabulous view of the water and the Navy Pier.

Feb 6th, 2001, 08:12 PM
Grant

I've stayed in virtually all the upscale hotels near the lake over the years. The Four Seasons and the Ritz (owned and operated by Four Seasons) are head and shoulders above the rest...and lake views CAN be had, but that's a difficult request to have filled reliably when the hotels are full. The Fairmont is not far below these two (the suites are VERY large and quite nice) and has better lake views but is farther away from Michigan Ave.
The Westin is a dump compared to these. The Drake is a bit 'tired' and the IC is a run-of-the-mill business hotel. Swissotel is not bad, but a cut below the Fairmont.

Feb 8th, 2001, 02:53 PM
Shannon

Thanks very much! I'll look into the hotels that were mentioned.

Search this Thread