Chicago Hotels 2nd choice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, we can't afford the lux hotels (Peninsula, Park Hyatt, 4 Seasons, Ritz), so what would be our best 2nd alternative hotels with same great locations, nice rooms, etc. Will be visiting on a weekend in summer. Thank you..
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:48 AM

Go to www.betterbidding.com and read about using priceline. If that doesn't work for you, hotwire is another option. If neither works, click on Better Bidding's "priceline maps" and see a map of central Chicago hotels (the ones clustered up by the lake). Any of them there are good locations, so then you just have to pick your price range and check some out.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:07 AM

The Westin on Michigan Ave. is nice with a nice location.(I think the address is actually on Delaware). Not sure on how pricey it is, but I'm assuming less than the four you named.

We've also stayed in the Swiss Hotel and the Hard Rock Hotel and both were very nice but again, not sure on pricing.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 01:13 PM
DMG

Omni Suites on Michigan Avenue, Readisson on St. Claire, the Wyndham on St. Claire, The new Conrad on Michigan Avenue, amd Sofitil on Rush are all good hotels that are in the neighborhood and cost less than those mentioned. If you are "hip", the James Hotel is opening soon.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 01:18 PM

I would vote for the Sofitel.

I also like the Hotel Monaco and the House of Blues.

But the Sofitel is better for location, and I thought it was quite nice.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 01:23 PM

I was able to get a room at the Swissotel on Wacker (near Navy Pier and Grant Park) on Hotwire for $95 a night - what a steal. Usually in a city like Chicago, anything with 3 stars or more will be nice. Also, hotels4less.com has some deals too.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Yes, noticing the SOFITEL is getting some nice reviews on Trip Advisor as well. Not cheap, but much cheaper than the luxury hotels. The Westin on Michigan is getting MIXED reviews so probably will lean more towards the Sofitel.
Thanks for the feedbacks....
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 06:04 AM
JJ5

If you go to hotwire.com you can guess the hotel and it is less $$$.

If you don't mind the Printer's Row area (more LOOP/South than river or Michigan Ave.) there are people here who have just noted that the new Hotel Blake has some deals.

I like the Hotel Allegro, Hotel Burham weekend deals and they have a free afternoon/evening wine. Hotel Allegro is attached to the Cadillac Palace Theatre and is smallish purple motif rooms but works great. I got it for $69 on Priceline last Dec. And all of these may give you better direct phone to them rates if you call. Just some ideas.
If you want to be real picky- you will pay more money than if you go with Priceline or Hotwire with some study of the situation on betterbidding.

If the room is VERY important to you- for summer, you just aren't going to get the $69 to $99 deals unless you bid, IMHO. These rooms are not dives but extremely nice rooms. I never bid under 3-1/2 stars- usually 4 star only and still get great rooms every time. I formerly got the Swissotel for $69, for example.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 11:13 AM
DMG

Sofitil will be a good choice. The architecture is wonderful and some of the rooms have great views. And you will be in walking distance of Oak Street shops and Michigan Avenue. Lots of wonderful restaurants in the area.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 11:20 AM
GoTravel

I love The Drake Hotel! Gorgeous.

If you don't stay there at least have Sunday brunch there!

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 11:47 AM
JJ5

I like the Drake too and have been there for tea. It is gorgeous. I like the old Palmer House lobby too.

Sofitel really is a great location for shopping.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 12:38 PM

Hotel Monaco!!! Stayed there in Feb. this year and loved it! The staff was wonderful. The rooms were beautiful. Wine hour at night (free). and the location was perfect. Samantha Brown stayed there on the Travel Channel, that's how we found out about it. I think we booked on hotels. com or the Entertainment book.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 04:11 PM

I also definitely recommend priceline. I've gotten many 4 star hotel rooms in Chicago for extremely cheap that way.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 05:55 PM

I just got back from Chicago and stayed at the Hotel Monaco. It was great. The location could not have been better, central and convenient to everything. The rooms were lovely and comfortable, staff was attentive, service great.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 09:59 PM

Check out www.biddingfortravel.com.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 06:33 AM

Check out the Sheraton on the river. Great location and many times they offer discounts. But, beware if you have a vehicle because the parking is $35 a night.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 01:44 PM

Hi GailLK,
If you have the time, I'd try quikbook.com for hotel rooms. I've been very lucky with great rates - and you can check reviews on tripadvisor.com. With Quikbook, however, it's always a good idea to call the hotel to confirm the reservation after getting the online confirmation.