Search

Chicago Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 05:57 AM
Maria Lee

Chicago Hotels

I will be coming to Chicago from the UK at the end of Oct for 4 nights with my husband who will be on business. Basically, I will be eating, drinking and shopping! and the two hotels we have in mind are the Omni Chicago or the Inter-Continental. Is there any great difference in the standard of rooms, size etc, location for shopping and restaurants?

I was also wondering about the temperature at that time of year - is it any different to the UK?

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 06:10 AM
patg

To which Omni are you referring? If it is the one at 676 N. Michigan Avenue, it is only about 4 blocks away from the Inter-Continental. The neighborhood is the same, although the Omni is more convenient to the best shopping.

Weatherwise, you cannot predict anything here in Chicago - that is the main difference from the U.K. Late October days could be balmy or could be rainy and near freezing. Bring sweaters and a raincoat - if you don't use them, so much the better!

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 10:47 AM
xxx

patg - if you had to decide between the omni,sutton place or monaco which would you choose and why?

thanks!

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 05:16 PM
xxx

to the top

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 07:38 PM
Karen

Which Omni?
The one at 676 N. Michigan is an all-suite hotel, only a few years old. Rooms are pretty nice. The hotel is atop a shopping center which is OK, not outstanding. Value for the pound/dollar is good there.
The Intercontinental is very hit or miss. Many different room types, some old/small with poor windows, some larger/newer (as it's an old hotel which has been added to and refurbished a time or two).
Between these two, the Omni is the better choice, both location and room-wise.
Late Oct can be VERY cold in Chicago. The wind can make it feel worse than the temp might suggest.
Hotels in Chicago are definitely a better bargain than those in London, for reference.
Enjoy Chicago....especially the food and sights.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 05:41 AM
Pat

Maria Lee:
Karen was right about the weather in late October...BUT it can also be gorgeous! The last two Halloweens were in the 70's here - the kids didn't have to wear coats over their costumes while Trick-or-Treating. Evenings will always be cool, though.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 12:51 PM
patg

to xxx - (if that's your real name)

I lived in that area for a dozen years, so my viewpoint is that of a citizen. I really like Sutton Place - it's modern, elegant, and in a real neighborhood that's quiter than Michigan Avenue. The Omni seems kind of impersonal. Monaco is across the river and close to the business district of downtown, convenient to State Street shopping and the theatres, but without much activity at night.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 07:50 PM
Lisa

I like the Ritz Carlton the best, its located in the Water Tower Mall. We have stayed there 3 years in row. We stayed at the Omni once, its ok. I also stayed at the Doubletree years ago and found it roomier than the Omni and in a better location although I think the furniture is a little nicer at the Omni. I found the Omni rooms a bit cramped because they were suites, its like they took a single room and split it. I have no idea where the inter continental is

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 08:44 PM
katie

Any info on the new Le Meridien hotel?