Search

Chicago for New Years

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago for New Years

Hi,
I may be spending New Years in Chicago and would like to know what special things are going on - not interested in clubs but rather city sponsored events such as fireworks. Cultural items would be of interest as well.

Thank you.
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 09:37 AM

One idea may be to catch "American Buffalo" at Steppenwolf. A 7:30 show will be out at 9:15 p.m., then you can celebrate with a post show dinner at BOKA or Vinci or Landmark which are three places that are on the same block.
The play is wonderful - writing is brilliant, the actors are great, but... if you're sensitive to cursing, this isn't the play for you. The "f" word, and the "c" word is dropped often.
Dress warm! And Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 09:49 AM

I believe that there are events at Navy Pier. I'd check and see if anything's happening at Millenium Park, as well.
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 03:51 PM

You don't mention how long of a stay you have in Chicago, so I'm mentioning some options with the assumption that it is more than just NYE and NYD.

If you are unfamiliar with the production, you might want to take a look at the Chris Jones' (of the Chicago Tribune) review of "American Buffalo". The easiest way to get to the reviews is click the "Blogs" section of the Chicago Tribune online on the first page of their website. Then scroll down to "Theatre Loop" and click the headline. You'll see hyperlinks for each on the right side of the page when the next page loads.

Dining out on NYE at better restaurants is not like dining out other days of the year (although similar to other major holidays such as Christmas and Easter). You'll definitely need reservations - and normally for a specific seating time at better restaurants. Some restaurants may have two seatings; some have three. The later the seating, the more expensive it gets. And be prepared to pay in advance at some places.

That being said, the major city newspapers usually show information about restaurant's who might have last minute availability. I suggest you check Metromix (the Chicago Tribune's online entertainment website) as soon as possible. They have a special section for 250+ possibilities for NYE (including 110+ restaurant options). Please keep in mind that this might or will include options for the suburbs as well, but you can weed those options out.

For city events, go to the City of Chicago's website. You might also go into the Chicago Cultural Center's website as well, which you can access via hyperlink.

If you are speaking of classical entertainment, you might take a look at the calendar on the WFMT (Chicago's classical and folk music radio station) website. Harris Theatre of Music and Dance at Millennium Park also has their own website where you can check their calendar. The Lyric Opera of Chicago normally doesn't have performances between the holidays. The next performance, "The Merry Widow", is slated for January 5 and "Tosca" will be starting January 10. The Joffrey Ballet will be performing their "Nutcracker Ballet" until December 27.

With respect to museums, you'll just have to check to ascertain which will be closed on New Year's Day. For example, the Field Museum is open NYD. The Art Institute, on the other hand, closes at 5:00 p.m. on NYE and is closed all day on NYD; but has free general admission between 2:00-5:00 p.m. on NYE.
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 04:00 PM

Oh! I forgot to mention that the Gene Siskel Film Center is having a film festival this month (ending December 30) of the greats of silent comedy: Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin and Harold Lloyd. Starting January 2 is a retrospective of Elia Kazan's films. See www.siskelfilmcenter.org for information.

The Gene Siskel Film Center is located in the Loop on State Street just north of Randolph, right across from the iconic Chicago Theatre.