Chicago - Cloud Gate and Tulips

Old May 10th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Chicago - Cloud Gate and Tulips

Morning All, We will be taking another trip to Chicago in a couple of weeks. I was wondering if Cloud Gate was still covered? The Millennium Park web page still shows it as being closed. Last time I had contacted them they had hoped to have it open by the end of April. I was hoping that perhaps they just had not update their web page. Also, this is our first Spring trip to Chicago. I know that officially the Magnificent Mile tulips are listing as blooming until around May 15th. Any possibility that are late and that I can still see them around the 24th when we come to town? Thanks for any info. Vacationmom
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:29 AM
JJ5

I am going downtown tomorrow so I will be able to answer both questions by Thursday. But I can guess that the tulips may be marginal by the 24th. The lakefront is much cooler than the inland areas and my tulips are done- blossoms gone & starting to die back. (I'm 30 miles inland and my blooms opened at least 1 week earlier than downtown's did.)

Now I know that there are early and late varieties of tulips, but I do think that the larger-scaled tulips downtown are more of the late variety.
So I bet tomorrow I will see peak or past peak. By the 24th you may see only very late blooming or they will have been replaced by summer annuals.

I hope the Bean is open too.

Check back (click on your own name vacationmom sometime on Thursday) and I will tell you exact information.
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you JJ5!
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:04 AM

I can help a little bit without having to wait till Thursday. I was just in Chicago this weekend.

Although we never actually made it to the North Michigan Ave. area, tulips were out in Millennium Park, along southern Michigan Ave. and along State and Wabash streets. They were on their way downhill, unfortunately. The displays were still beautiful, but it was apparent that many of the tulips were finished blooming and many more would be very soon. Perhaps they'll have installed some different flowers by the time of your visit.

Cloud Gate (I like calling it the bean so much more!) was still closed this weekend. The security guard we spoke with said they hoped to unveil it by May 27. So it's possible that you'll see it, but can't say for sure. The rest of Millennium Park is still wonderful, even if it's still covered!
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:20 AM
JJ5

I had a strong feeling the tulips would be done, they were actually on the early side this year. You'll have nice annuals.

I'm disappointed about the bean. They said early May in the newspaper and every time I have been down there it has either been covered or I was too far west for my appointment or outing to get that far east quickly enough. I bet you'll have it covered also, because they are not likely to estimate this on the positive side. They've already changed that date at least twice to later. I was going to go tomorrow for sure, but will not this time. I'll spend more time at Field's or at Cultural Center.
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:50 AM

I drive by Millenium park a few times a week and I don't think the tulips will be around for your trip.

The city does not let the tulips stick around once they start loosing thier petals. My guess is the city crews will have all the beds replanted within two weeks.
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:51 AM

I drive by Millenium park a few times a week and I don't think the tulips will be around for your trip.

The city does not let the tulips stick around once they start loosing thier petals. My guess is the city crews will have all the beds replanted within two weeks.

i also call it the Bean.
Old May 10th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. I know the city will be beautiful regardless of the tulips; it always is! But, I sure did hope to see them. Hopefully "the bean" will be uncovered. My husband and I have seen it, but we will have our children with us this time and wanted them to get to take a look. Oh well! I'll just have to bring them back again! Many thanks. Vacationmom
Old May 12th, 2005, 11:21 AM
JJ5

Update, vacationmom.

All the tulips got pullverized yesterday. We had a couple of tremendous storms. The morning downtown commute was brutal- like winter.

They are all laying down and flat or de-petaled, so the annuals will be in for your visit. They should all be replanted and it will be nice. And the weather will be summer by then, just watch.
Old May 12th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the update JJ5...... Oh well, the city will still be beautiful and full of gorgeous plantings. I'm always amazed at how well maintained evertything is!
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:08 AM

Vacationmom, I recently read that the date for "unveiling" Cloud Gate (aka The Bean) is May 27. Hope this helps.
Old May 13th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Exiledprincess, Thanks for the info and I sure hope so! We don't leave town until the evening of the 28th. So, hope prevails! Many thanks. Vacationmom