Chicago - City Pass or Go Chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and myself will be spending 4 nights (5 days) over Mother's day weekend and trying to decide which is the best pass for us. We would like to go to Shedd Aquarium, the Art Institute, Field Museum and Hancock Observatory, Contemporary Art Institute and whatever else we can fit in.

Are these passes worthwhile? Which would you choose and where is the best place to buy a pass. Thanks for any advice
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 06:31 AM

MM, you'll just have to do the math yourself, based on your desires.

Keep in mind that the passes don't include the fees for special exhibits at the museums; and make sure you check the time when they can be used. One good thing about them, though, is that you can by-pass the long lines for admission on the weekend.

Lastly, some of the things which (IMHO) are the best to experience in Chicago aren't included in either, such as the Chicago Architecture Foundation's River Cruise.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Are there additional fees you pay to get into exhibits? I was not aware of that. If you buy the pass can you just pay the additional fee then or is it a completely separate admission?
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 09:29 AM

Usually the only additional fees are for "special exhibits" that are not included in the general admission price.

I have used both go cards and city passes for several cities. Depends on how much you want to see and do. City passes only include one admission to each activity. Go cards provide 1 admission per day for most activities. For example, with city pass you could go to the Art Institute one day. With go pass you could go every day if you wanted to. You can order either online. Not sure how long it takes to get the city pass, but it's about 10 business days for the go pass (had mine in less than a week), express mail for $15 extra or you could pay for it online and pick it up in Chicago. During the checkout for go pass, one of the options for shipping in the drop down box is to pick it up there. The voucher you print out will tell you where to pick up, normally downtown, easy to get to. Also, make sure you go online on go pass website (www.gochicagocard.com) and see all that it includes. There is an Architecture Cruise included. Lots of great things to do, can be a bargain, and most museums let you go thru the member admission line which cuts out wait time.

My preference? For Chicago I would probably do the go pass for the extras. I had a city pass there and had no problem seeing everything it included in 2 1/2 days. If it still includes the Industrial Museum that was interesting also. I got around with public transportation without any problems.

The city pass only includes 5 or 6 things, don't tear the coupons out because that will invalidate them.

Go pass includes about 25 things. Gray line trollys are usually included also so that helps with transportation between attractions.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the clarification - it really helps. One question - it states you can go on an Architectural Boat tour but how do you make reservations? The only ones I see are through Ticketmaster.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

One other question.... we will be there 4 1/2 days (from Sat. early afternoon to Weds. at Noon) - should we purchase a 3 or 5 day pass? (Do the days run consecutively or just when you use it?) Thanks again for info
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:55 AM

Call the Chicago Architecture Foundation directly and ask what their policy is for GoChicago card customens. Since you can't make a reservation, it seems to me that you would be able to take the tour only when there is available space at tour time. The same "no reservations" policy applies to the other tours - if you want to know waht you are really purchasing with those cards, call the tour provider directly, and let us know what they say.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 03:23 PM

I'm pretty sure that the Architectural Cruise shown on the GoCard is Shoreline's and not the Chicago Architecture Foundation's.

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 05:34 PM

We just got back from Chicago. See my trip report posted under 'Chicago on a budget'. I considered using the passes but then I figured I'd be pressuring myself to get to all the places that the card is good for, to get my money's worth. I like touring more serendipitously ,loosely planning each day's activity , but leaving time for roaming around. On the other hand if your goal is to see all the places covered by the cards you will save money after you total all the admissions.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 08:02 PM

The GoChicagoCard's architectural tours is Shorelines.

Also, the GoChicago's days are consecutive. Starts on the first day you use it and then good for 2,4, or 6 additional days depending on how many days you buy. They are on sale for 15% off right now on their website.

Consecutive days or so many days within x amount of days depends on what city you buy the gocard for, but Chicago's gocard is consecutive days.

The City Pass is good for 5 specific attractions. It is good for a total of 9 days from the first day you use one of the coupons.