Chicago Cirque Soleil Varekai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2003, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We bought the Tapis Lounge package, that includes United Center parking, so thought that night we might drive and find a restaurant on the way. Suggestions?
Or is it still best to use public transportation? Has anyone attended this show with the package? What can we expect? We have only see them on Bravo.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 10:29 AM

Tuscany on Taylor Street has good Northern Italian food. It is very convenient to the United Center and has its own parking. Depending on your point of origin, you could use public transportation, but driving is far more comfortable.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Hi patg,

We have reservations at Hotel 71 on E. Wacker. Have you heard anything about it? We thought it looked like a good location for the Tall Ships that will be docked on the river.

I have some concerns about the hotel itself, not finding a lot of favorable reviews, and the congestion that may result from crowds coming there for the same event.

Thanks for your reply. I was leaning toward driving. Do you think Tuscany is better than Italian Village? We ate thre when we visited before and my husband was thinking of returning.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 11:06 AM

Hotel 71 used to be called Executive House; it was recently renovated and reopened. I like the location a lot - you can walk to everything, including Venetian Night (Aug. 2) and not have to deal with driving. There is also a free trolley to navy Pier that might be welcome on the way home.) The parking lots at Monroe Harbor and Navy Pier often fill up during special events. If you are thinking of using the Monroe garage, get there about midday or after 5 p.m. See
http://www.chicago.il.org/ for lots of info.

Since you're coming from the Loop to the United Center, you have a number of options. If you have "warehoused" your car and don't want to move it, you could take a caabout $7). There is also a bus, certainly less convenient. Or, perhaps go out to Oak Park or points west for the day and drive back, stopping at the United Center.

Italian Village is a landmark; sorry to say I haven't eaten there in years. It is an easy walk from your hotel. If you don't go on Cirque du Soliel night, stop in another time - it's open Sundays, which many downtown places are not. Have a great visit.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

patg,

Your tip about the Monroe garage is much appreciated. We will be going to meet our Chicago Greeter around 12:30, so maybe we can find a spot. Do you know the rate?

Do you possibly know where to buy loose teas?

Thanks again.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 11:24 AM

What kind of restaurants do you like? I would suggest any one of the places on West Randolph ... but specifically which one depends on your tastes.

Our office is doing the Tapis package in 2 weeks and can't wait. If free parking is included, you might as well drive ... cabs can be difficult for a smaller performance such as this at the United Center and I wouldn't necessarily suggest public transportation.

Are you also looking for somewhere to purchase teas? The only shop I've consistently visited is the Chicago Coffee & Tea Exchange in the 3300 North block of Broadway. It's a pretty good selection.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 11:37 AM

Makingtracks, we stayed at Hotel 71 not long ago and it was very nice. I personnally think that Tuscany or La Vita on Taylor are both better than Italian Village, not that Italian Village is bad. Also for tea, try Porte Rouge on West Division in Wicker Park for great teas and great household items.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 01:58 PM

You might try Marche on Randolph. It is on your way to United Center, and while the restaurant is French ... the decor is quite whimsical ... almost circus-like! It would make a good prelude to seeing Cirque. Also, they are offering free limo service from the restaurant to United Center if you dine before the show. Great food. Great atmosphere.

Also on Randolph St. I would recommend, Redlight (Pan-Asian ... excellent!), Vivo (Italian), or Bluepoint (Seafood). These are some of my favorite restaurants (I live in Chicago) and they are all within a block of each other.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 02:00 PM

Marche is an inspired choice for pre-Cirque dining. Across the street is their "sister" restaurant Vivo, which is Italina and somewhat theatrical too (and good and not too pricey).

For loose teas, another option is a new ugreat spot called Aion at 2135 W. Division. Over 100 varieties of loose tea.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 06:15 PM

Makingtracks, Don't know if you've left yet but we saw Varekai on Friday and it was great. Not only that but I can testify that the tent is stronger than it looks since there was a monsoon going on outside and there was nary a leak! Enjoy the show.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

swalter,

Yes, we went Thursday and were awed. We only saw Cirque on Bravo previously and the Tapis Rouge was worth it!

The Marche idea sounded good but the limo was leaving at 7:15 at the earliest. With the package, you get into a special tent an hour early and have reserved parking. We didn't want to miss a minute.

We toured Tall Ships during the day, and ran too late for a big dinner. With the treats and drinks in the tent, we didn't go hungry, though. We definitely hope to go to another Cirque performance, even without the special treatment.

Thanks to all the posters above for the tips!