Reload this Page >

Chicago - Can I walk bwtn. These Areas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Sue

We have the option of staying in the river North area while we are in Chicago. I am just starting to get familiar with the city and would like to know if one can walk from River North? Mag. mile to the loop? On my map there are bridges over the river connecting these areas - can I walk over them or are they for cars only? Sorry if this sounds silly, but I can't determine this from just studying the map! Thanks!

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 09:07 AM
chic

We stayed at the Swissotel, which I think you'd consider the River North area. It was easily walkable to and from the Mag Mile. I suppose if the weather's bad, you might not want to make the walk, but in reasonable weather (and assuming you're in OK condition), the walk is fine.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Amy

Sue,

River North is a great place to stay if you are interested in exploring the Mag Mile and the Loop. It's centrally located between the two ... Mag Mile is just to the east and the Loop is just to the south. Both should be walkable .... maybe a ten-15 minute walk depending on where exactly you're staying. Is it a hotel?

And yes, you can walk across the bridges.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Suzy

If you don't mind walking, it is very nice walking around the city. It probably is only about a mile or so from the north end of the Mag Mile to the loop. Beware that some of the bridges are closed due to construction for both cars and pedestrians. One that could infer with your walk is Wabash (just make sure you stay on Michigan or go over to State Street). Also, FYI to chic: the River North area is the area just north of the River therefore the Swissotel is not in the River North area. But it is centrally located to walk to both Mag Mile and the Loop.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 03:25 AM
Mark

Had 8 days in Chicago in aug/sept and walked almost everywhere with my 80 yo father. Found the city very walkable. Didn't find any bridges closed when we were there, but if one is closed the next one isn't far away. No problemo. Have fun!

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 05:22 PM
Sue

Thanks everyone for your comments - you have been very helpful. Can anyone tell me more about the "free trolleys" I've been hearing about? Is this just a summertime event or is it throughout the fall, and what route does it take?

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Kris

Here's a link for the Chicago trolleys
http://www.ci.chi.il.us/Transportation/trolleys/

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 11:08 AM
fila

The free trolleys are usually a summertime feature. Most of the outdoorsy tourist events are on hiatus for the fall/winter here in Chicago.