Chicago bicycle tours

Old Jan 28th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago bicycle tours

Searching online, I found two companies doing bicycle tours of Chicago: Bobby Chicago's Bike Hike & Bike Chicago.

Based just on the web site info, Bobby's looke much more attractive, but I am checking to see if any of you have experience with either company, or others?

Thanks!!

Keith
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 09:01 AM

We did a bike tour with Bobby's last fall when some friends were in from out of town, they received a nice write up in the Tribune last year. I thought that as a native Chicagoan that I might find the tour (start at Water Tower, through Old Town, Lincoln Park and along the lakefront) a little dull but the tour actually took me by a few places that I had heard of but had never seen and a few hidden corners that I had not explored. The owner/leader of the tour was very enthusiastic about Chicago and knew his stuff. At the time he was talking about expanding the business and doing a tour on the southside which I think would be a great way to see a part of the city that most tourists don't see.

If you have your own bike, I think it was $10 less, if you don't they give you a spiffy blue no speed bike, took me awhile to get used to pedal brakes again

I have not read or heard anything about Bike Chicago.

If you are coming to Chicago and bringing your bike with, you might also keep an eye out for one of the Charity rides that go on during the summer, the Boulevard Lakefront Tour goes through some very interesting neighborhoods, The Late Ride is a hoot and Bike the Drive where they close down Lake Shore Drive in the morning was a lot of fun.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 09:10 AM

Charity rides are always a good idea for a well-supported ride while helping a good cause.

Another good choice, if you have your own bike (or can borrow one) is to find a local bicycle club, preferably a touring club, that is having rides in the area. Check related links at these two websites for local bikeclubs:

www.bikeleague.org
www.adventurecycling.org

Clubs host the rides for convenience of their members & guests, with no profit motive (not that it's bad), so you'll often find great activies absolutely free.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. It sounds like Bobby's is the way to go.

Keith
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 08:43 PM

I went on a Bike Chicago tour - it was great. The tour was an easy ride and we stoped at many local spots that I would never find on my own. The guide was a native Chicagoin and very fun. I also loved the bike it was a new Trek comfort bike. One of the best thing about the tour was that it was free! The company has been around from 1993 and have a great reputation.
Bike chicago is located at Navy Pier and North Ave. beach so it's easy to find them.

Enjoy your ride!