Chicago around Union station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In April, I'll be changing trains at Chicago's Union Station. If my arriving train is on time (I know, I know - big assumption), I'll have 5 hours between trains which really means about 4 hours late morning and early afternoon on a Tuesday. Does anyone have any suggestion for sightseeing, attractions, or lunch in the area of Union Station? I'll be on foot so I'd like to keep it within a half mile of the station.

Also, I'm not familiar with that area of Chicago (Canal and West Jackson). Is it a safe area to walk around in mid-day?
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 04:42 PM

The area is safe to walk around unless you're a Coke salesman (the regional HQ of Pepsi/Quaker Oats is in the neighborhood).

The Sears/Willis Tower is 2 blocks east of Union Station at Wacker & Adams. There are dozens of restaurants in the area ranging from fast food to Giordano's, which has deep dish pizza, and several places in Greektown, 5 blocks west.

If you like Art Deco architecture, walk 4 more blocks east on Jackson to LaSalle and walk through the lobby of the Board of Trade Building. Then, head one block north to Adams and LaSalle and see the LaSalle Bank Building.

As a comparison, cross the street and go into The Rookery. It was built in 1888 and remodeled by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1905. A recent renovation opened one of the marble columns to show the original design.
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 10:07 AM

Great list, Citylghts.

Safe area unless you are afraid of the Chicago business crowd!

Just to add, the French Market inside of Ogilvie station is lovely. It's just across from Union and on the bottom floor. They have lots of food options and it would be a great place to "re-load" your snacks.
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 12:03 PM

I keep forgetting about the French Market. It's nice, but can be a bit pricey. If you want to pick up things a bit more cheaply, there's a Dominick's Supermarket at Madison & Halsted at the north end of Greektown. I should have mentioned that Greektown is on Halsted between Jackson and Monroe.
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 06:49 PM

Willis Tower (Sears Tower) and Greektown (Greek Islands is the best...both within walking distance.
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 07:27 PM

Willis (Sears) Tower and Greektown are good options. Greek Islands is decent, although I like Artopolis in Greektown -- they also have a good bakery.
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 05:59 PM

If you're in the mood for breakfast - Lou Mitchell's will keep you full all day. I think it's delicious - and right next to Union Station. http://www.loumitchellsrestaurant.com
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 10:57 AM

As an out-of-towner, I don't usually comment on local attractions. However, I would skip the French Market. It took me longer walk there from the "L" than I spent in the market and the prepared food items did not appear to be quality but expensive. You may want to try the New Line Bar just down the street from the market. Great burgers. Or Miller's Pub on Wabash if the suggestions above do not appeal to you. Or take a quick subway ride to Michigan Ave.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 11:02 AM

I took a taxi to the train station, and had time to walk around a little, it looked safe for me being alone.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 01:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been there on a layover several times. Two things to see on Jackson Blvd other than Willis are The Federal Reserve Bank and the Chicago Board of Trade. If you like art, you can visit the Chicago Art Museum and see among other things, American Gothic. It is a very log walk, but I have done it all the way to the Field Museum and the Shedd Aquarium on the lake shore.
You can even walk up Michigan Avenue on the "magnificent mile"
I doubt that you will see Oprah there. If you don't like the Willis Tower, try the Hancock on Michigan Ave.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 01:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Forgot to say, there are several dining options within Union Station if the weather is bad. I will look for Lou Mitchell's the next time I'm in Chicago. Thanks for the tip.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 06:51 PM

I vote for Willis Tower and Greek Islands!
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

I'm back home safe and sound and had a great trip. Thanks for all your advice.

I'll try to get a trip report up in the next few days and post some photos a few days after that. for now, I've got a lot to catch up on at home.