Search

Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 1997, 08:35 AM
audrey

Chicago

Just got back from an overwhelming weekend in Chicago--there's so much to do and see, and we feel we didn't do it right, so we're going back. Where should we stay (downtown); what should we make sure we do, then come back another time; we like to walk; we had a wonderful dinner at Gibson's. Wish I could say the weather was wonderful. I'll never complain again about New England's weather.

Old Apr 17th, 1997, 06:43 PM
Christine

Well, I'm going in mid-May and I'll be staying at the Holiday Inn on Ohio Street. It seems to be very close to many of the must sees: Navy Pier, downtown, the museums. I think it's rather expensive, but if it can save my some transportation money, I'll be content. I plan to do a lot of walking as well.

Old Apr 19th, 1997, 05:59 PM
gary e.

one of the most overlooke AND interesting sites in chi town area is the Baha'i temple. on water beautiful gardens to walk, amazing architechure and big. you will be amazed to find this structure in chicago area.

Old Apr 21st, 1997, 09:47 AM
Hy Speck

Chicago, the birthplace of the skyscraper, is to architecture what Paris is to art. Be sure to take a architectural cruise down the Chicago River led by the Chicago Architectural Foundation. And/or take one of their interesting walking tours. For more info they are on the web at http://www.architecture.org

Hotels are quite pricey, I would suggest you have your travel agent contact the Hyatt or Sheraton River Front for their weekend packages.They're both have excellent locations.

For fun at the old ballpark, take the "L" to Cubs Park. Its the only team in baseball that no one cares if they win or lose.

Hope you enjoy your visit, Hy in Chi

Old Apr 23rd, 1997, 07:14 AM
Stephanie

Chicago is an awesome city to visit! For a large, hotel atmosphere, try staying at the Hilton Inn & Towers at the south end of Michigan avenue. They have great weekend package rates. If you want to stay at the north end near Hancock Bldg and Water Tower Place, try the Rafael. It is old and quaint and reasonably priced; however, (I know this sound weird)ask for a room that does NOT overlook the garbage dumpsters as early morning pick ups will definitely wake you up. Otherwise, it's a great place. You MUST go for lunch or dinner, BISTRO 110! Have a great time!

Old May 2nd, 1997, 08:03 PM
Bob

I've lived in Chicago all of my life and still think it's one of the greatest cities in the world. Stay near north Michigan Ave. I've never tired of walking the Magnificent Mile. It's one of the greatest shopping areas in the world. Navy Pier is a wonderful newly restored addition to the near north side. Try a dinner cruise on the Oddessy from Navy Pier. The west Ontario Street restaurant district (Hard Rock Cafe,et al) is worth a visit. It's a great city for walking and also take the architectural boat trip from North Pier (near Navy Pier).

Old May 5th, 1997, 01:22 AM
dirk

chicago is a great place to be. and most of the stuff on the page is true. If you are interested in an european point of view: DON`T go to the navy pier
itīs just "tourie-fake".
The hilton, were we stayed is a beautiful hotel, but not in the very best location. When I walked around i ddiscovered Courtyard by marriott (hubbard??)
Good location, looked very nice

have fun