Cherry Blossom Viewing in D.C.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Fairfax Virginia (from Los Angeles) for a Bar Mitzvah on Saturday, April 2. I will arrive Thursday evening and have Friday free, as well as part of Saturday afternoon, I believe. I am with a friend who is renting a car. I presume that it will be much less crowded to see the blossoms in the Tidal Basin on Friday than on Saturday. I have been to the park website, but I wondered if there were particularly wonderful vantage points. Also, we will definitely have the car (my friend is somewhat disabled) and while we can park and walk for a relatively brief distance, I wondered if anyone had any suggestions for parking. Also, I see that there are other sites for cherry blossom viewing; has anyone tried any of them? Thanks a lot.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 04:58 AM

1) There is no static best "spot" for appreciating the blossoms. The best way to enjoy them is to walk through and among them. The best walk for this is also the most popular (for a reason): walk some of the perimeter of the tidal basin. In your case, park at (a handicapped spot?) at the FDR memorial and see the trees along the basin between the FDR and Independence Ave.

Friday will be less crowded than Saturday but still very crowded.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 05:02 AM

I can't help with parking in the downtown area for cherry blossom viewing but I do suggest that you drive to Kenwood in Chevy Chase to view more cherry blossoms. It's like a fairy land.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 09:07 AM

If parking is tight at your preferred location (likely), park anywhere in downtown and take a taxi to the Jefferson or Roosevelt memorials. You'll be able to hail one for your return to the car (or next stop downtown).
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm really
looking forward to this (unfortunately brief) visit.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 03:04 PM

Peak bloom isn't supposed to be till next week, so don't know how good viewing will be. That said, weather report for Thursday right now is VERY good.

Since you're from LA, maybe you can hack DC's rush hour. If so, get good directions to the Tidal Basin. I've often stopped by there at 8am on my way to work to see blossoms. Always found a parking space right there at the boat rental area of Tidal Basin at that hour.
Later . . forget about it. If it's a nice day, it's a nice time to be there.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 05:10 PM

I too would go to the parking lot near the peddle boats. I've always found parking there, and there's ALWAYS handicap spaces available. Enjoy! I try to make it there every year, but can't this year.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 04:33 PM

Go early! You may get lucky near the paddle boats, but if you miss, there is parking on the far side of the Jefferson memorial - watch the signs very carefully or you'll go over the 14th St. bridge to Virginia. I second the thought to take a cab, especially if with someone with walking difficulties. Try to walk around the Tidal Basin - then around to FDR and Lincoln (long walk) then catch a cab. If you don't mind walking, you can get lucky parking promptly at 9:30 on Constitution Ave. Good luck! The next 2-3 days of warm weather should make the blossoms pop out by this weekend!
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 04:33 PM

Bring a handicapped permit if possible - very helpful.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Again, thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. Good suggestions and I do hope it doesn't rain the whole time.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 06:25 PM

I will also be in DC this week and hoping to see the Cherry Blossoms. When I started reading this I was wondering if there will be any because I heard they won't peak until next week. I am going for business and will have a few hours Thursday afternoon (sure hope the weather really will be nice). I am staying at the Jefferson Hotel. Is it walking distance to the Tidal Basin? I commute in Chicago and am used to walking about 1 1/2 miles to work from the train. Any other suggestions if time permits? I really only have a few hours though. Thanks.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 06:52 PM

Cerlaurie,
Take a cab ($5.50) - not that you couldn't walk it but you said your time is limited.