Search

Cheese in Milwaukee

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheese in Milwaukee

I am planning to visit Milwaukee at the end of February, and since Wisconsin is a renowned dairy state, I was wondering if fresh cheese curds are readily available, and perhaps tours of creameries? I recently returned from a wonderful trip to Quebec City and Chicoutimi, and fresh cheese curds were sold everywhere! Even though I'm from California, and we produce a lot of cheese too, sadly, cheese curds are not available here. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 06:34 AM

I don't think you'll find exactly what you're after right in Milwaukee. However, this sounds like the sort of place that would offer cheese curds:

http://www.digitalcity.com/milwaukee...adp?vid=194197

But if you're after being able to visit someplace where the cheese is actually being made, you'll need to get in a car and start driving.

My "milwaukee+cheese" google also turned up this...

http://www.digitalcity.com/milwaukee...adp?vid=194197

Definitely a drive from Milwaukee (30 mins?) and kind of a cutesy-touristy town, but it says they def have WI cheese.

And one more, with info on dairy factory tours (but not necessarily close to Milwaukee):

http://agency.travelwisconsin.com/PR...oach_Food.shtm

Happy squeaking!
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, tuckerdc! Sorry for this late reply, but I just saw your message today. Thanks so much for all the helpful information--I appreciate it! Looking forward to happy squeaking!
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 06:06 AM
kp

You'll find varieties of cheese curds in most grocery stores. It's sold packaged in plastic just like shredded cheese. Some of the creameries do have stores attached--I found one which sold fresh whipping cream. A few years ago a co-worker went to get her cream for Thanksgiving and it turned to butter on the drive home!!
Brennan's, on Bluemound, on the way into Waukesha has a great selection of cheese.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great tips, kp!
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 03:13 AM

Cheese curds sold in Grocery are not fresh and don't taste the same as fresh. You need to go to cheese factories. My favorite is Gibbsville. It is located between Port Washington and Sheboygan. That is a little way (45 miles) from Milwaukee. Try looking up Cheese factories. They are located all over southern WI.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, judya, and thanks everyone for all the helpful info! I'm checking out cheese factories in the area. While I understand that the taste and texture of cheese curds changes after time (they no longer squeak after the first day) I find them yummy no matter what!