Reload this Page >

Cheapest Place to Buy Groceries on Kauai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 03:58 PM
KS

My message go cut off in my first posting. I am renting a house on the North Shore (Ha'ena) and want to know the cheapest place to stock up on groceries. I know Kauai doesn't have a Costco so where do people shop to save $$$.

Mahalo

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 04:40 PM
sc

Wal mart or the Safeway on the road north from the Airport. Fresh fruits, fish and veggies at local markets too

mahalo back at ya

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 06:20 PM
Sue

Going to Kauai in April. Do you know when the locals have their market days. Would love to go to those and buy our veggies and fruit etc. Thanks

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 06:33 PM
dana

Safeway in Kapaa on your way from airport enroute to Haena, because up north shore, we shopped at a ridiculously high-priced store in the princeville resort, which seemed to be only one of two possible grocery stores.
I think that it was called Foodland. Way expensive!!!! And then in Hanalei
there's a grocery store which was cheaper than Foodland, but not as cheap as Safeway, and if you have a safeway near where you live now, then you probably have their red discount card which they honored there as well as here

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 04:21 AM
Dawn Ct

We brought cereal from home, peanut butter, coffee, jelly, etc since we we're a family of six. We bought some groceries at Safeway with our safeway card. You can apply on line and just hand them the form. They will give you the card at the courtesy desk. I had heard prior to our trip how expensive Foodland was but I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. Prices weren't that bad. Make sure you get a Makai card on arrival and you will save a lot of money. We planned our meals around the loss leaders which helped. Usually milk is around $7 per gallon but the week we were there, they had a "buy one, get one free". The same with orange juice.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 04:38 AM

We take one large suitcase with wheels full of food. Then all of our vacation purchases come home in that suitcase.

You can even buy milk in the juice box area of your grocery store. It is great for cereal.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 05:10 AM
Sarah

KS don't be so freaked out about prices on Kauai. I think you will find it expensive depending on what part of the country you are coming from. I see little to no difference from NYC. I went last summer with a friend from rural southern New Jersey who did not see much of a jump either. She was a mother so I expected her to be sensitive to price jumps.

I think Hawaii prices impact people from cheaper parts of the country like the mid-west, south. Just a guess but I never know what people are talking about when they say Hawaii is expensive. The better restaurants are a third cheaper than NYC restaurants I do a lot of dining when I am there.

In terms of rentals I had a rental in Ocean city NJ that was old but clean (small)for $2450 one week on Kauai north shore a half block from Hanalei Bay beach I had a rental for $1200 (new,clean spacious). What a find but not unusual, this year they are down 15% in cost. Jersey Shore or Kauai, Jersy Shore or Kauai, decisions decisions.LOL

Would love to hear about your Haena rental. I have rented in Hanalei and Princeville. I love the Princeville Foodland bought some amazing tuna that you would expect to find at a fish market. I also like the variety. The savings is not worth the haul for me from Kapaa but what the hey if you have the time go for it.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Sarah

*** do you really save curious where are you from. Hats off to you for saving as much as possible. I just have never seen a difference in costs anything you are targeting like meat or condiments?

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Minnywall

Dawn, thanks for the tip about applying for the Safeway card on-line!

While I was doing that, I checked out the weekly circular for the Kappa store - seems like a good way to know what to expect before you hit the store!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 06:48 PM
rrrTTT

Don't forget to bring some spices in your bag for all the yummy fish at Safeway - knowledgable staff.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 10:06 PM
KS

Thanks for all the helpful info. I'm from San Francisco, so I'm use to expensive everything, except for produce.

I'll be sure to bring my Safeway card.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 04:19 AM
x

How sad that even Kauai has a Wal Mart. Is there any place in America that doesn't!!?!

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 04:32 AM
ccc

xxx they love Walmart on kauai it helps working people get the things that they need at an affordable price not so sad. No I don't work for wallmart I just see how it helps some people working three jobs to live where their roots are, Hawaii.