Search

Cheap motels during X country drive?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap motels during X country drive?

Hi,
I'm going to be driving from the Seattle area to Atlanta in the next few days. It's about 2200 miles, and I'm not going to push it, perhaps do 600-700 per day. I want a really cheap decent motel chain I can find that's hopefully plentiful. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 03:14 AM

Motel 6 or Days Inn
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 04:14 AM

Motel6
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 05:03 AM

You can also look for small, older privately owned motels. Some will surprise you, both good and bad. No matter which motel you choose make sure you ask to see the room prior to registering and paying. We do this all the time when traveling in the hinterland and off the beaten path.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 05:34 AM

Make sure that you stop off at least one a day at reststop or highway travel (state) information center. They have motel/hotel coupon booklets for all the higway areas. You can scope out the distances to towns/cities and see the going rate at the hotels. The rooms/rates are not always available, but it will give you a good idea of how many hotels are in a town, and how they rank, at least by dollars. I have often found great rates at really good hotels that way. Enjoy your drive and be safe.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 06:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check choicehotels.com for any special programs currently offered...at some times of year they have a 3rd-stay-is-free deal going on when you join their club.

Call ahead whenever possible. Small motels may negotiate down on the phone to lure you in. HOwever, if you just show up at their door, they pretty much figure you are tired, you want to stay and will pay the price.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 11:15 AM

go to www.freetrip.com After entering departure and arrival points, scroll down to the hotel selection area and check off your pricerange.

this will provide you with hotels along the entire trip, mileage and time between cities along the way and miles and time to go.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 01:10 PM

I drove cross-country (Phoenix to either Boston or Washington) five times in two years when I went to grad school. I found that if you got off the interstate and drove a town or two away (10 or 15 miles), you could find much cheaper mom & pop motels, plus get to see some of small-town America. I am female and was traveling by myself, so cleanliness and security was paramount. I always asked to see the room before I paid and made sure it had a good lock. I never had a problem and enjoyed my trips quite a bit.

Keep in tune with the weather forecasts since you're traveling in the winter. Have a great trip!
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 01:15 PM

I'd Priceline my way across the country. It is not uncommon to snag a 3 or 4 star hotel for $50, especially in places where there are lots of chain hotels (like along major routes).
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 09:14 PM

I'd do Priceline also. Just plan your stops around decent sized cities where Priceline hotels can be gotten for a bargain rate.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 10:57 PM

I agree with Priceline. We used to use them all the time in towns that weren't even that big. However that has all come to an end as we travel with our little dog and unfortunately they don't have a category for bidding on pet friendly accommodation. So - it is now La Quinta or Motel 6!!
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 12:43 AM

If you are bringing a laptop on the trip you do not need one decent motel chain. First of all, it is usually the name that is the chain, not the management - most advertise as "independently owned" regardless of chain. So quality is not really standard - we have stayed in some dreadful Days Inns and some that were fine.

On the other hand, a hotel of one chain will usually phone ahead to reserve you another of their chain. Or change to one 100 or so more miles down the road if you feel you want to drive a little longer on that day.

On such a trip as yours, which I read as one where sightseeing is not a goal, I disagree with the Mom and Pop motel recommendations. While it is totally without character, I actually prefer a non-descript name hotel right off the interstate - usually close to gas, food and convenience stores - rather than hunting and assessing quality of local lodging.

If you are a breakfast eater, we find convenience and cost of places that include breakfast is sometimes worth it.

All that said, I would check also recommend Motel 6, Days Inn and in some areas Best Westerns or Holiday Inns - the latter 2 are usually a little more but not always.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 04:58 AM

Join AAA and get some of their hotel/motel guides -- they have comprensive lists of decent motels (but won't include the nasty ones).
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 05:02 AM

Motel 6.They leave the light on for ya.Only problem I had with em was of all places their signature location in Plano TX just down the road from the corporate headquarters! Well, it was the riggers who was hissin at us out by the pool one hot sultry afternoon.What are ya spozed to do in Texas when its hundurd degrees and 400% humidity but sit by the pool and drink a cold one!?! The nice desk clerk told us it was our Speedos...those riggers thought we were limp wristed sissies from California.....only part true was the California....
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 05:35 AM

Holiday Inn Express. Initially they may not appear the cheapest, but you can get very competitve rates and they're most consistent in terms of quality. Newer than traditional holiday inns, they all include free expanded continental breakfast which saves money, too. Join their rewards program, Priority Club, and rack up points each time you stay; you'll quickly earn a free night. First call their 800 number and then directly, asking both for best rates and / or manager's specials.

We also like Hampton Inns, part of the Hilton chain. They too include breakfast and have new, heavenly beds.

Old Nov 30th, 2007, 06:25 AM

The best possible way is to Priceline on the night before or the same day of the stay. Problem is you may not internet access. If you have a laptop, you may find Wi-fi access point; or have someone do it for you.

I have done this for my sister, and about a year ago, there was a thread on this board with one Fodorite bidding on Priceline for their traveling family/friends real time. It was fun.

But for a long road trip, the last thing I'd do is prebook all my hotels before the trip, especially non-refundable ones via Priceline. Makes the itinerary inflexible.

I like to drive as far (or as near) as I feel like that day. When I feel good, I can go 13 hours 900 miles. When I don't feel good, or weather turns nasty, I can go much shorter. I don't have to get to a prebooked, non-refundable hotel.

Otherwise, Motel 6 is the cheapest chain with relatively decent rooms. Econolodge (part of Choice Hotel group) is the other, but their quality vary even more (in a bad way) than Motel 6. Super 8 is also usually okay, pricing a little bit above Motel 6.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 06:45 AM

We had good luck on our cross country trip from CA to TX with Motel 6. On other trips we have used Super 8, which is usually a cut above. The mom and pop ones, vary so much. While some are good, others are dumpy. My husband came across a good and cheap one in Wells, NV. So if you're planning on staying there, let me know and I'll find out the name.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 07:16 AM

Also, check out Stay Studio 6, part of the Motel6 chain: http://www.staystudio6.com/
They have kitchens, and most I've seen look nicer and newer than most Motel6's. I haven't stayed in one yet.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 07:40 AM
MaureenB

We drove across country last summer. We liked Holiday Inn Express the best.
>-

Old Nov 30th, 2007, 08:19 AM

Motel 6. They're pretty consistent, it's nice that they always have free local calls and HBO. Get a two-bedded room to get more space in the room. And good idea to pack your own pillow and especially towels, theirs are pretty thin and scratchy.

I like Holiday Inn Express but it is usually 40% more than Motel 6, and you can usually beat HIX by using Priceline or Hotwire.

Hotwire is another choice for discount motels, and you may have a better idea of what you will get than with Priceline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -