Cheap hotels in California

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 01:23 PM
Roger

Hello,

I´m travelling to travel to california in July with my wife, and I´d like some suggestions about cheap hotel, something about US$ 45 - 65, in LA (preference near the beach - Sta Monica), San Diego, Grand Canyon, Sequoia Ntl Park and Yosemite Ntl. Park.

We will travel by rental car, and we are looking for a reasonable place to sleep. It´s could be a litlle far for the main atractions (we can go by car).

I have already checked the prices of Hosteling Int in LA, it´s about US$ 65,00 for a couple in a couple room. Any other sugestions?

Thank´s for any help.

Roger

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 04:32 PM
william

Motel 6 (www.motel6.com) is probably about as close to a reasonable and reliable lodging you will likely find in California, even though their prices tend to be slightly over $65 in major metro areas/attractions.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 07:36 PM
Helpful

Roger, as the previous person suggested Motel 6 I want to let you know these are called "motels" (not hotels) as there is parking just outside the ground floor rooms.
Another budget chain is one called Super 8, and the website is:

www.super8.com

One which we just used is called La Quinta Motels and just by asking if there was a lower rate available than the $79, I got the room for $59, which is what I believe they charge a single person on business. Room included a nice recliner. Free continental breakfast was included.

www.laquinta.com

So, always ask what discounts you may be eligible for and if there's a special promotional rate available. Always, always ask, they rarely tell you.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 12:17 AM
Don

Roger,

Check out what Priceline customers have been paying at this Web site:

http://pub4.ezboard.com/pricelineandexpediabidding

There are threads for LA/Anaheim, San Diego, California (cities that don't have their own threads), and Arizona (cities that don't have their own threads), among others. I found only one Santa Monica hotel mentioned in the LA/Anaheim thread--a 3* for $65. Lots of 3* and 4* hotels in San Diego that went for $65, 2* and 2.5* for less. I don't know which cities in California might be reasonable hotel cities for Yosemite and Sequoia, but the California thread might have some listings if you know the cities near those parks.

Usual disclaimers apply--no vested interest in your using Priceline or going to the Web site mentioned above, yadda, yadda. Although Priceline doesn't guarantee a particular property, I think the savings make up for it. We used to stay at 1* and 2* hotels--now Priceline's spoiled us, and we almost invariably stay at 3*.

Have a good vacation--sounds like a lot of great destinations all in one trip...

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 06:27 AM
gary

the answer ref priceline.com from a previous message is a great one !
we are going to be in san diego sept this year and by price line i got a room for 2 in the sheraton harbour hotel for $75 apx - sheraton own site lists $264 as lowest rate !! - other dicsount sites only got down to $169 plus tax etc..well worth a go as long as you don't mind not choosing the hotel yourself - gary leeds uk