Cheap Hotel San Francisco

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 03:47 PM
Topaso

Cheap Hotel San Francisco

We are going to have ten days in San Francisco from March 2nd 2002 would like a week in an economic hotel with ensuite close to public transport - no car - want to tour daily to see sites and funded by Australian Dollars which makes every thing double for us - our problem - being Seniors looking for a week deal and so far it is all about $850 to $900 USD per week basic any one got any helpful information please? Would be so grateful - have major fire fighting on here at "Goobang" at present and not enough time to go search so will be delighted for any locations offered. Topaso!

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 06:08 PM
stosh

Here's a couple of suggestions and some useful websites. The Ansonia Abby is a curious older hotel in great location used mostly by buisness travellers and students for longer term stays. The price is about $69 plus the 14% tax and includes breakfast and dinner. While I doubt the food is anything to write home about it'll help your budget and allow you to do your exploratory eating at lunch when prices are cheaper. Breakfast only would be a help. www.sfgate.com/food will be helpful in restaurant recommendations . This place books out far in advance so I'd try to see what's available ASAP. Do a search on www.bayarea.citysearch.com for Ansonia Abby. Another economical possibility is actually the newest HI hostel in SF that used to be a small hotel and has private rooms with bath for about $64 including tax. www.norcalhostels.org. This is listed as City Center. The only caution I would make is just to be on the discrete side after dark it's best to use Larkin St and go up the two blocks to Geary to go to and from the Union Square area. I walk past here at least two to three times a week to shop at the asian markets. This is Little Saigon area and lots of inexpensive places to eat around. I'd also suggest looking at www.sfcityguides.org for information on the free, donations very appreciated , tours of SF. My wife used to be a Sydneysider , Bondi, and has been watching with interest and concern. Here's hoping she'll be right, mate.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 06:35 PM
Deb

Try the San Remo Hotel. It is very inexpensive and close to Pier 39 and Lombard Street. It is European-style, so you have to use a shared bathroom and shower and the rooms are very small. However, you will probably spend most of your time site seeing anyway, so who cares about having a really nice room?

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 12:05 AM
barbara

Why don't you try bbonline.com and try a search for either San Francisco or Berkeley. There are many places in Berkeley very accesible by public transportation to SF and you'll be in a much better part of town than the least expensive of SF hotels- something you should be careful of! Berkeley has plenty to see and do in it's own right with many wonderful restaurants- an easy and less expensive way to do the Bay Area.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 09:05 AM
JC

We're going over there today. We found ALISA Hotel off Bush St. We're only paying $49.95 plus tax per night with shared bath. We found this through travelocity.com. Email me back if you want to find out how it went.

JC

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Doris

We have stayed at an inexpensive, clean place called Pacific Heights Inn. Very convenient, nice people. Walking distance to the Wharf, lots of great shops and restaurants, and close to public transportation lines.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Parrot Mom

Our favorite hotel The Andrews Hotel, a little boutique type ..for about $109.00 and it includes a breakfast outside your room every morning, a glass of wine in the evening and a special menu for guests in their delightful dining room. It is two blocks from Union Square, very convenient, helpful staff.. It is quite a popular place and only has about 40 rooms. www.andrewshotel.com
Unfortunately, since it's been "written up" its often difficult to get a room, but I don't think you'll have a problem in March.