Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Cheap hotel needed in NYC in late Oct.-PLEASE HELP!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 11:16 AM
Rebecca

I'm stayin in NYC around Oct 27th or 28th, to Nov 3rd or 4th (depending on how cheap I can get my hotel!) I will be taking public transportation everywhere, and have not been to NY before. I want the best deal I can find-cheap but nice. We will only be sleeping here, so I really don't care if it is kinda rundown. I do however want a good location with easy access to transportation and activities. Is there anything at all you would recommend? I've done a lot of searching and can't seem to find anything under $130 a night. Is this the best I can get?? Thanks in advance!

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 11:24 AM
Frank

Rebecca: Check the message thread for Haydon Hall Hotel on the Upper West Side. It runs about $100 a night and doesn't look bad. Good neighborhood, and private bath. The have a website also. Also check out the Habitat Hotel in East 57th Street, good rates.

Good Luck.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 11:28 AM
Frank

Rebecca: I topped the message thread for Hayden Hall it's called "Weekly Hotel Rates in NYC"

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 11:44 AM
thereuare

I would try Priceline and bid <$100 (your stated "ideal" limit). Keep in mind that hotel taxes in NYC can easily add another $10-20 to the cost of your hotel.

You can see other people (and their bids) that have been successful at priceline in the NYC area at: www.biddingfortravel.com

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 12:43 PM
Don

Rebecca, I'll second thereuare's suggestion--go to http://www.biddingfortravel.com. Read the Hotel FAQs, then look at the New York City hotels thread to see the specifics on people's winning bids. (A quick glance reveals winning bids starting as low as $70/night for 3* hotels, with 4* hotels going for $90/night and up.)

By the way--the $5/night (up to $25/bid) hotel bonus money offer (available on the Web site mentioned above, via a link in the Bonus Money Opportunities thread near the bottom) expires at midnight tonight (Eastern time, I think). So time is of the essence if you want to save $25 bucks by using the bonus money link.

With Priceline around (and some of the other discount hotel sites), you really should be able to get something for less than $100/night (not including the high NYC hotel taxes, which I think run 13.25 percent).

Good luck!

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 01:05 PM
Sherry Hill

I was in NYC in early December of 2000 and I stayed in a B&B--actually, it was a young lady's apt.--she rents her extra bedroom through an agency called "At Home in New York." The phone number is (212) 956-3125. They were very helpful and helped me find a room near my son's apt. and in my price range ($100 or less). The best thing about a B&B is that there are no taxes like there are for hotels. There are many other good B&B agencies--you might try that route.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 01:17 PM
virginia

You could try the Larchmont, in Greenwich Village in a great location, most rooms have shared baths, the place is nice and clean; also Leo House, which is run by the Catholic Church, in Chelsea.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 02:24 PM
AppleBiter

Rebecca-
Try www.nychotels.com for several that might work for you. I stayed at one, the Marcel, for $129/night midweek and it was terrific - very cool decor, clean as a whistle, free 24 hour cappucino in the lobby, continental breakfast each morning - reminded me a lot of a Parisian hotel.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 02:48 PM
Don

Rebecca, Sherry Hill's post reminded me that the new issue of Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel magazine has an article on B&B agencies in New York City. I think the article lists six agencies. I don't have it handy, but I'm sure you can find a copy at a bookstore or newsstand near you.