Cheap good beakfast in Hawaii, Where?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to: the Hilton Hawaian Village in Honolulu, the Hyatt in Kauai, the Hilton Waikola or the Fairmont Orchid on the Big Island and the Grand Wailea in Maui. We will be staying for a total of 14 days and do not want to spend $25. a person per day on breakfast. We are from NY and are used to two eggs, potatoes toast and coffee in a diner for $4.95. Does anyone have any suggestions for restaurants or diners in HI. Thanks for you info.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 07:34 PM

in waikiki, Wailana Coffee Shop for breakfast. open 24/7, located across the street from HHV, on the corner of kalakaua and ena.

in kauai, Tip Top Hotel in Lihue. their coffee shop has the some awesome macadamia banana pancakes. however, it's not across from your hotel, Hyatt in Poipu. If you're out and about already, this might work if you're headed in the direction of kapaa or princeville. i will talk you out of going to eggbert's in coconut marketplace - the service is very slow and food is below ave.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 11:39 PM

McD's, seriously

your diner is cheaper. however, spending $25 per person a day on breakfast is doable. i spend that plus tip for two at kountry kitchen.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 01:50 AM

The Waikiki coffee shop that flymetothemoon is referring to is an excellent choice. We decided to eat there once for breakfast and ended up eating there for breakfast during our entire stay. It will also be very convenient for you since is right across the street.
It may sound weird, but you must try the pancakes with coconut syrup. It's wonderful.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 03:03 AM

Eggs n Things is located near the Hilton Hawaiian.
http://www.eggsnthings.com/aboutthe.htm
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 08:03 AM

If you find yourself in Hanalei while on Kaua'i some morning, stop by the Village Snack Shop in Ching Young Center and have one of their breakfasts. Delish and reasonable.

I've had a few good breakfasts at Joe' on the Green at the Kiahuna Golf Course in Poipu. Less than $25.00 per person, but more than $4.95.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 08:30 AM

Maui - The Gazebo.5315 Lower Honoapi'ilani Road (in the Napili Shores)808/669-8061.

GET THERE EARLY, the lines get long.

It was everything everyone on here said it way and more! We had mac- nut bananas with creamy white coconut syrup – YUM! We were tempted to order fried rice along with it and when we saw the size of the orders, we were glad we didn’t get the rice! The pancakes were the size of a large plate and a short stack brought 2 of these babies each!

We had bagels and coffee and pineapple from Whaler’s Village a couple of mornings that we wanted to get out to the beach fast. There’s a kiosk place in the middle of the village and price was reasonable.

Buy breakfast food from ABC store [on all islands]

Honestly, $4.95 will get you almost nothing on HI. Forget what you pay in NY for any comparison to HI - just not going to happen.

Deb
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 09:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Waikiki will be your easiest, I'm guessing. There are several coffee shops along Kuhio with inexpensive breakfast specials. If you don't need a hot breakfast, St Germaine bakery or Food Pantry grocery store also on Kuhio have breakfast items.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate everyones help. I am not a breakfast buffet person. An egg on a roll or a short stack of pancakes is plenty. Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Thanks
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 09:27 AM

LOL! Egg on a roll -the quintessential NYer's breakfast! Boy do I miss those- used to get a special of egg on roll with coffee for $1.19.

Don't be surprised that you aren't going to find a hard roll like in NY anywhere else. Yum

Deb
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Or a bagel
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 09:50 AM
esd

We stayed at the Aqua Waikiki Wave recently (great hotel, by the way!) and it was just steps from a place called Galaxy Steakhouse which had a daily $2.99 breakfast special of 2eggs, 2 pancakes (the lightest, fluffiest I've ever eaten) and bacon or sausage. With coffee and tax it was about $10 for the two of us. Then right next to the hotel was a great little bakery where we got some ham and cheese rolls for lunch! This hotel was also steps from the International Market which was nice to roam through. It was a block and a half from the beach which for us was no problem.

There are reasonable places to eat but not very convenient to get to from some of those huge, sprawling hotels. And yes, I've heard that said hotels charge an arm-and-a-leg for breakfast.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 12:30 PM

The Grand Wailea has snack/coffee shop where you can get breakfast without spending $25. I went almost every day and became addicted to having half a pineapple for breakfast everyday. Best pineapple I've ever eaten.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, for all you info. I still need to know about Kauai and Maui. All info is appreciated.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 06:04 PM

Forget finding anything cheap close to either hotel on the Big Island. We stayed at the Orchid two months ago and the best deal is Brown's deli where you can order breakfast sandwiches to go that are probably large enough to split (unless you are DH, then you need to get your own.) Be prepared to get in the car and make a substantial drive if you want to eat somewhere other than the hotel.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 07:54 PM

$1.99 - Cheapest and decent breakfast on Maui is at Moose McGillicuddys in Lahaina. Early bird breakfast (before 8:30 am) consists of two eggs (cooked to order any style), two strips of bacon, white rice OR fried rice OR hash potatoes OR toast. Gotta be the best deal in town or anywhere for that matter. Cheaper than McDonalds. I liked their eggs benedict (real homemade hollandaise) and their french toast is made with Hawaiian sweet bread. They have early bird dinner specials too.

http://www.mooserestaurantgroup.com/.../breakfast.htm
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 07:59 PM

Sorry, I just realized you mentioned Grand Wailea. There is a Mooses in Kihei also--if you're staying in Wailea, that would be much closer. They have the same early bird specials. If you don't make it by 8:30 am, I think the price goes up to $3.99, still a deal. You'd probably pay $25 for the same meal at the hotel.

http://www.mooserestaurantgroup.com/.../breakfast.htm
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 12:55 AM

In Waikiki the Keo's (fairly near the HHV at towards the end of Kuhio Ave) and Keoni's by Keo (At the Ohana East) do good breakfast specials, around $5 each. However if you don't eat off the specials its more expensive. We went there a few times and liked it. Not a fancy breakfast but it does the job and a nice atmosphere! http://www.keosthaicuisine.com/menus...breakfast.html
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 08:03 AM

I agree with Moose's in Lahaina. We've had the $1.99 breakfast and it was more than we could eat. We haven't tried the one in Kihei but I'm sure it's just as good. Moose's is also a good place for a reasonably priced dinner. Nothing fancy, just good food. Check them out for their early bird specials.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 08:17 AM
TahitiTams

Breakfast's run about $10+ pp
You really won't find cheap breakfasts anywhere on the islands..Things are expensive on the islands and your staying at some of the nicest hotels on each island..so, you'll get in your convertible and with gas about $4-5 a gallon and drive around for 30 minutes to find a cheap breakfast place and come back since you couldn't find anywhere to dine so effectively your breakfast has already cost you $20+..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -