Search

Cheap Eats in Maui

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 03:54 PM
Gomez

Cheap Eats in Maui

HI

My wife and I are leaving for Maui on the 23rd March. This is our first time - we are staying in a condo in Kahana.

As Canadians, we are concerned about prices in Maui (ie., we have a terrible exchange rate with the US $).

Does anybody have any recommendations for cheaper (but good quality) restaurants in the area?

Thanks in advance!

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 04:46 PM
Rick

check out "cheeseburger in paradise" and "bubba Gumps" in Lahaina..both pretty reasonable.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 04:55 PM
Tammy

Maui is expensive. However, there are some good quality food available that is not terribly high priced! Lelanies on the beach at Kaanapali had good food from $8-$15-very reasonable and nice view! The mixed plate at the Kaanapali beach hotel has very good buffets, both lunch and dinner in the $8-$11 range. Maui tacos in Khanna had outstanding and healthy mexican food from $1-$6-really tasty! For a splurge go to the Friday night Westin Hotel in Kaanapali for their outdoor seafood buffet. From 5:30-6:00 it is only $25 and from 6:00 on it is $29. Really good food, nice salad selections, some suishi, shrimp, salmon, mahi mahi, crab legs, prime rib and a good selections of deserts. Eriks Seafood Grotto in Khanna offers some very good early bird offers from 5-6:30. have fun!

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 04:26 AM
annemarie

Up at Kapalua, outside of the Ritz, is this old houselike property that sells souvenirs but also has a little grocery store-take out food place...salads, sandwiches, things are cooked right there. They have picnic tables on the front porch.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 04:54 AM
Frank

Try dining at Roy's, which is one of the better and yes, expensive, restaurants on Maui. But...order a few appetizers instead of the pricier entrees. It's far more economical this way. if you eat at the bar, the bartender will often let you order appetizer portions of the several of the listed entrees. It's fun to dine this way and you'll experience very good Pacific Rim cuisine at a fraction of the normal dinner price.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 07:53 AM
Kristi

I'll 2nd the recommendations for Maui Taco and Cheeseburger in Paradise (both are good, not spectacular, and cheap by Maui standards). Another place that fits in that category is Aloha Plate Lunch. They may have more than one location, but the one in Lahaina has a really nice setting (right beside the Old Lahaina Luau) right on the ocean, and serves cheap, really filling food. The grilled fish, in particular, was quite tasty!

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Vicki

I second that on the Aloha Plate Lunch. I was there in January and ended up there 3 times. The mahi-mahi was as good as I've had anywhere. And the drinks there are cheap and good too.

If you get starved for beef, there is an Outback close by - don't know if you have those in Canada.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 12:06 PM
Julie

We went to a Thai restaurant that was about 5 minutes from the airport. It was a light green wooden builing on outside. Not too fancy on outside, great looking patio on the inside. I don't know the name of the place but it was very inexpensive and we had the best meal of our whole Hawaiin vacation there. Food was fantastic. We didn't enjoy the food in Hawaii, but this meal sure made up for it. If I knew the name of the restaurant you would swear that I owned it and was trying to drum up business.

If anyone know the name please post it. They had a store nearby that sold flavored popcorn and a couple of antique stores. Hope this helps someone who knows the name.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 12:48 PM
Jill

There is no need to break the bank as there are many reasonable places to eat. Many of the places in Lahaina proper have early bird dinners too which are less but you have to eat before 6 p.m. I believe (we don't normally like to eat that early, but many folks don't mind). Cheeseburger in Paradise is a fun place right on the waterfront in Lahaina too. You can always go into a grocery store and get sandwiches, snacks etc. and have a picnic at the beach too. Of course, all the usual fast food and pizza places are represented as well in a pinch! Most of the hotel restuarants are less for lunch than dinner too.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 01:42 PM
Joy

Golf courses are a great place to eat. Of course, you cannot have a LATE dinner, but what you have will be very good. Golfers are a hungry lot.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 01:50 PM
Jelly

The plague of frogs has still not abated & some enterprising restaranteurs have started to include them on their menus. You can get them baked in clay, broiled etc. for considerably less than Sea Bass, Lobster etc.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 02:01 PM
paul

Maui Tacos;Alexander Fish and Chips in the Kihei area of Maui; BJs Pizza in Lahaina. On the more expensive side, you can get a great meal at Hula Grill in Kaanapoli.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 03:58 PM
sammie

Tony Romas in Kihea provides a nice steak dinner with salad and potato for a reasonable price. The food was decent.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 07:38 PM
Melissa

Oooh, Aloha Plate Lunch was good! Not too bad on the pricing, either.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 05:11 AM
Lynn

If you like Mexican food, try Margarita's Cantina in North Kihei. It's right on the beach, and the food is good and reasonably priced. We ended up going there twice on our last visit, and we plan to go again when we're on Maui in September! Good luck!

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Willy

Take all the usual precautions ( as in visiting Turkey, India etc. ). Refuse all ice in drinks, drink only bottled water ( remember when brushing your teeth also ! ). Refuse anything that you are unsure about. Take all recommended shots before departure. Don't forget that mosquito net. Have fun.