cheap clotes/shoe shopping in NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 03:18 PM
shop

Hello.

I'm looking for good cheap shopping for clothes in NYC. I know of Conway but that is all. Looking for some inexpensive clothes and also good places to buy less pricey athletic shoes but still name brand Nikes. I've only seen Foot Locker in the neighbourhood. Oh, I'm a female in my mid-20's. Thanks.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Statia

A friend and I just bought a bunch of clothes at Old Navy this past week. I don't usually care for a lot of their stuff, but the store is so large that they had a good variety at good prices.

They're on 33rd, I think, between 6th and 7th, just west of Manhattan Mall and Macy's. There are also a lot of other less expensive stores in that area. Macy's also has some good sales, as well.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 04:25 PM
abc

Daffy's! Strawberries!

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 04:37 PM
Statia

Oh yeah! I forgot about Strawberry's.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Ted

Have you tried Orchard Street on a Sunday? Tons of bargains. Also a new high-end outlet just opened on East 86th Street, south side just west of Lex. Great bargains. My wife has bought some cool stuff there & I found some nice Polo pants for $20. I know you're not in the market for men's Polo pants, but you get the point.

Also, for shoes there's Harry's on the UWS, Broadway at 83rd. Also we have found good bargains on Nikes at a small place on Canal Street. I can't exactly tell you where, but it's on the south side of Canal east of Broadway and west of Mulberry. Problem is the store is often out of sizes.

For a wide variety of clothing and shoes at decent prices, consider shopping Broadway between Canal and Houston. Tons of good stuff.

Surely you know about Century 21, Loehmann's (sp??) and Filene's Basement, right?

Good luck!

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 04:58 PM
m

Century 21. Hands down, the best for inexpensive but quality clothes & shoes. needs our support., too. Cortlandt St. across from the WTC

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 05:17 PM
Janie

A couple of clarifications to the excellent advise offered above:
Harry's Shoes on the upper west side has great stuff,but they are in no way a discounter (I've seen items there often at a couple of dollars above list price, actually).
If you are thinking of things in the price range of Conway's ($5 t-shirts,$10-15 shirts, pants, skirts) most of the other places aren't going to work. Most of the places mentioned (Loehmann's, most of Century 21--my favorite store ever, by the way) specialize in excellent prices on higher end items . Daffy's is great for trendier items and you can definitely pick up fun tops for $15 or so, especially in small sizes. Strawberry's carries mostly junior clothes which are lower priced in general than the merchandise at the other stores. As far as orchard street, I haven't bought things myself there in years, but there tend to be better buys on leather jackets and again, higher end clothing

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 05:40 PM
patty

H&M anyone? There's one in Herald Square, one on Fifth Ave, one downtown...and probably more. I've got to say that Century 21 is actually my favorite. Since you're young, what about Canal Jeans and Antique Boutique on Broadway in Soho?

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 05:41 PM
JoAnne

Not sure I agree about Harry's. No, it's not a discounter, but it's a big high-volume store. I shopped around and saved $6 on a pair of Merrill jungle mocs at Harry's. Great shoes, by the way.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Linda`

Have you tried walking around the Garment District? Many vendors are wholesale only, some will let u buy anyway, and many do retail.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 06:45 AM
suzanne

Also:
Burlington Coat Factory (23rd St/6th Ave) It has a Marty's Shoes inside it, which has great prices. You probably won't find Nikes here, but they have Keds.

Filenes Basement (19th St/6th Avenue or 79th & Broadway)

There is also a huge, less crowded Old Navy on 18th St/6th Avenue.