Search

Chatsworth, CA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Chris

Chatsworth, CA

Hi all,

Does anyone know anything about the city of Chatsworth, California. I believe it is to the west of San Fernando Valley. Thanks.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Toni

What is it that you want to know? I have lived in the SFV most of my life so I could tell you something about it.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 07:29 AM
Chris

Hi Toni,

I am being transferred out to the LA area in January and I am coming out in August to look for an apartment. I was going to stay in Chattsworth and wanted to know if the area was ok. Do you have any tips on a good place to live. I'm looking for a nice apartment in a nice area that is somewhat convenient to the Sherman Oaks area. Someone had mentioned to me that Santa Clarita was beautiful, but I wasn't sure if it was too far from the SF valley. Thanks so much for your help!!

Chris

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 08:21 AM
Thyra

Hi Chris, Chatsworth is very interesting geographically, in fact in nearly every western movie, where you see gun slingers firing at each other from behind big boulders.. that is Chatsworth... the Chatsworth from LONG ago.
It is in the inland part of the SF Valley and is dissected by the 118 FWY and by the new Metro Redline (I believe)
It is very hot, and the very close the the epicenter of the 1993 Northridge quake. There are some great houses out there, lots some new Upscale ranchero style houses on big lots, there are many strip malls and it's close to California State University Northridge.
In terms of Santa Clarita... thats OK... if I were you I would move to either Simi Valley, from where you can take the train if your car breaks down, Moorpark or Thousand Oaks, which is an upscale suburban community, Santa Clarita, though affordable, is connected to the SF valley by one terribly inadequate freeway that IMHO BOGS down during the morning and evening commute, however there are affordable housing options in Santa Clarita... (near to California Inst. of Arts). So it may be an option. But I would check out areas to the West.. IMHO Studio City is the best part of the SF Valley with parts of Tarzana, West Hills and generally anything to the West of the 101 FWY are the most desireable areas to live in.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 08:22 AM
Suzie

Sant Clarita is out, off of I5 near Valencia, Saugus area. Think Magic Mountain (Six Flags). Not really convenient to Sherman Oaks. Closer to Sherman Oaks would be Van Nuys, Studio City. West of Sherman Oaks is Woodland Hills, Topanga and Agoura Hills and of course Chatsworth.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 03:19 AM
Ray

I think Agoura is still a bit too far out. I would limit myself to the western end of Woodland Hills only, and even that's a bit far, in MY opinion!

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Toni

You have received some excellent advise here.

One thing that you should keep in mind is the price of apartments and what your budget is.
A friend just moved to Sherman Oaks and is paying 900+ a month for a one bedroom apt.

I believe the rents would be less in Chatsworth and Simi Valley area.
(I think Simi Valley is a bit far, about 25 miles from Sherman Oaks but the 118 frwy doesn't get quite as congested as the 405 or the 101. You pay for the location...when you are in the outlying areas you have to drive the frwys...which can be mighty crowded. If you can stagger your hours at work to avoid prime traffic hours it would be beneficial.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Toni

whoops...that should be "advice"