Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Charleston's plantations and other day trip other ???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stopped off in Charleston last year for 2-day visit after visiting Savannah. Going back this April-so much more to see (35th wedding anniversary too). Did the carriage ride, walking tour, historic houses and open market (loved). Want to visit Fort Sumter and venture out of town (driving up from Beaufort). So many plantations, can't see all -suggestions please! Also, any nearby towns we should visit, etc.? Thank you!
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 05:06 PM

We were there a few years ago, also in April, and chose Magnolia Plantation (can't remember a particular reason why). It was wonderful. There was a nature tram tour, beautiful grounds, lovely home with a history.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 06:54 PM

I would do Magnolia Plantation; have been there three times, and loved it every time!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:50 AM

We love Middleton. And in April (if not too late) the azaleas should be beautiful.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 05:55 AM
DRJ

I wholeheartedly recommend not only Middleton Plantation but the adjacent Middleton Inn, the finest piece of modern architecture in South Carolina, IMO. I live a couple of hours south of Charleston and azaleas are blooming now. The walk from the Middleton Inn to Middleton Plantation is completely planted with azaleas and is an unfogetable experience.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:49 AM

I am also visiting Charleston, although a little earlier. I'll be there on Sunday.

My husband that there are some lovely mansions to visit within the city of Charleston proper?

Could anyone direct me to which city mansion to see?

We are also considering Boones Farm and Drayton Hall in addition to Magnolia Plantation and Middleton Place. Is that too much to see?

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:48 PM

Middleton Place, Drayton Hall, and Magnolia are all within just a few miles of each other. Depending on how much time you spend wandering the grounds at each, I think you could see all in one day. Personally, I love the grounds at Middleton Place best, and the house at Drayton Hall, which is the only Ashley River plantation home that wasn't burned during the Civil War. Boone Hall is on the other side of Charleston, across the Cooper River, so you would probably want to see it on a different day.

Downtown, there are lots of historic homes to tour. My favorites are the Aiken-Rhett house, which was sort of an "urban" plantation, and has lots of outbuildings to explore in addition to the main house, the Edmondson-Alston house, and the Nathaniel Russell house, which is worth seeing just for the gorgeous "free-flying" staircase.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 05:38 PM

I once did both Middleton Plantation and Magnolia Plantation in one day, and my feet did not thank me but you do what you gotta do! Both places are great in their own way, and both beautiful. The food at Middleton Plantation restaurant is wonderful!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:23 PM

The last time I went to Boone Hall, I had the most fabulous, authentic lowcountry lunch in the restaurant there - crabcakes, butterbeans, red rice. So don't miss that if you go!
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 03:20 AM

Just me, but too many plantations are --- well, too many!! Lots more to see and do in Charleston, so Middleton is still my choice.
INteresting to hear about Middleton Inn. That may make a re-visit attractive.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 10:48 AM

We just got back yesterday. We went to Magnolia Gardens because the azaleas are in full bloom.

It was beautiful. Tons of azaleas and oak trees with Spanish moss. Also, tons of camelias and poppies. We took the tram tour, house tour, and boat tour in addition to walking the gardens. It was just beautiful.

There were tons of chigger bugs, too. So, bring bug spray for this time of year. Dress lightly because it was very warm.

There were also tons of alligators, too. So please, if you have pets, leave them home. We saw a 12 foot alligator that weighed 1500 pounds. Before S. Carolinians complain, I know that no one has died of an alligator attack in S. Carolina. But, that does not mean it could not happen. Three girls were killed by alligators in the Florida Everglades when alligators jumped and pulled them from tour boats.

We did see one idiot walk her poodle to water's edge where we had seen the 1,500 pound alligator. I wanted to strangle the dumb b##ch. No leash could protect a 12 pound poodle from an alligator.

Also, be attentive if you have small children. Magnolia Plantation is a wildlife preserve, and they do not control the movement of alligators and snakes on the property.

All in all though, I wish I had spent more time exploring the other plantations also, like Middleton Place. Magnolia was the highlight of the Charleston trip.