Reload this Page >

Charleston - What to see/what to avoid

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 12:00 PM
Bob

Planning on spending 5 nights in Charleston (Charleston Place Hotel) followed by 2 nights in Savannah in late April or early May. Any suggestions for dining, "must-see" sights within Charleston, day trips out of Charleston(plantations/gardens/etc.that are well worth the drive and those that should be avoided), would be appreciated. We are travelling without kids and particularly enjoy good food, local markets, and scenic spots (with of course, some historical sights thrown in too!)

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 07:08 AM
dan woodlief

See my posting under "How much time in Charleston." I just went for the first time in October.

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 08:05 AM
howard

Two recommendations:
1. Definitely go to the plantation called Middleton Place.
2. Walk, walk, walk around Charleston!

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 11:32 AM
lisa

I recommend taking one of the horse-drawn carriage tours of the city, which you can pick up at the Market. I was there over Christmas and took one run by Palmetto, which cost $16 per person (but our hotel gave us a discount coupon making it $13 per person). I have taken these tours several times and they are always worth it -- the guides tell you a lot about the history, architecture, etc. It only takes about an hour but you'll get so much more out of it than you would just walking around on your own (do that later after you've taken the tour). I have also heard good things about the "ghost tours" (walking tours) but have never done one. You will enjoy exploring the market.

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 06:51 PM
Debbie

Hi Bob - You've gotten 3 great replies so far - definitely walk, walk, walk - but also a must when visiting Charleston is taking a carriage ride. All companies charge about the same price, and usually discount coupons are readily available for additional savings-these tours work on a lottery system, meaning they have different routes that take you through the city (by taking a tour on 2 different days from the same tour company may give you 2 totally differnt tours).

We took a ghost walk last year on our visit-these last about an hour, and are quite informative, plus you get a different perspective of the city at night.

Definitely stop at the Market-indulge by buying a hand made straw basket(they are expensive). Charleston Place is pretty much in the center of things, but do venture down to the Battery-the homes are just exquisite there.

We also enjoyed our trip to Magnolia Gardens. As for historical sites, there's the USS Yorktown exhibit, and Ft Sumter, both worth visiting-possible to do both in one day if you plan things just right (depending on crowds and line waits for the boat trip).

Enjoy-please post a trip report upon your return - especially interested in Savannah (since we know how great Charleston is) for a future trip.