Search

Charleston trip Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2006, 08:53 AM
bwg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charleston trip Suggestions

We will be in Charleston 6 days the first part of August.I know it will be HOT. I' d like some trip itinerary suggestions-what to see, restaurants, etc. We will have a car . Is a day trip to Savannah a good idea? Thanks!!!!!
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:05 AM
TKT

The restaurants I remember enjoying the most are Ansons, Magnolias, Carolinas and Hominy Grill (brunch)
It's good to make reservations and to ask for the no-smoking area if you don't smoke. The city of Charelston Museum (just outside of the historic area) is a good way to spend 1-1/2 hours. Next time I hope to go the minor league baseball park and the Art Museum.
Old May 31st, 2006, 10:12 AM

Pull up GoTravel's excellent report on Charleston as a reference point for starters.
To TKT's suggestions, Add Patriots' Point, the Yorktown and the historical section of town to your itinerary. Go to one of the plantations for a day. There is plenty to do in Charleston and a day trip to Savannah is probably not a good idea. If a day trip is something you think you want to do go to Beaufort, SC, a charming small town. Me, I'd stay in Charleston and see it all! Happy travels.
Old May 31st, 2006, 10:33 AM
TKT

I'll agree with previous post, day trip to Savannah not necessary. I would also focus on Charleston, I am the kind of person who can sit in restaurants and coffee shops for hours eating and drinking and chatting, but it is not the same for everyone.
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:17 AM

I wouldn't go to Savannah either. If you want a day at the beach it would work out.
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:38 AM

The link to
Go Travels Most Excellent Weekend in Charleston is
http://tinyurl.com/lb3rg
I had it bookmarked it is fabulous - really checked out a ton of things and gave excellent reports on lodging, eating, etc.

I used a lot of her info when I went, and my report link is
http://tinyurl.com/polv9

Of course, I wasn't there in the heat of August, but there might be some info that helps you in planning.
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:43 AM

Savannah is a little far for a day trip unless you somehow manage to get terribly bored with Charleston, which I don't think will happen.

One solution would be, if you really want to see Savannah, would be to leave Charleston the afternoon before your last day, go to Savannah, spend the night there and have a longer visit before you had to go back home.

Savannah is worth seeing. It's just not the sort of visit that you could squeeze into a few hours and find enjoyable. Be sure to come see us some time if you can't make it this time.

And it would be just a hot as Charleston!!
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:05 PM
GoTravel

You don't need a car. Don't head out to the plantations during the day because it will be unbearable. If you must go, go early early morning and leave by 10AM.

Downtown will be a couple degrees cooler because of the constant breeze off Charleston Harbor.

Definitely have drinks on the rooftop of The Vendue Inn.

Take in the waterfront park. I love the pinapple fountain!

Take the boat ride to Ft. Sumter.

Old May 31st, 2006, 12:45 PM

I agree with the recommendation of a visit to Patriot's Point and the USS Yorktown, but be sure to do it EARLY in the day, because things get very warm on the ship, particularly up on the flight deck! We visited at the end of June last year and I think you could have fried an egg up on the flight deck surface.

Personally, I would try to squeeze in at least one plantation visit in a 6 day stay. If you go early, the heat will be more tolerable. My personal favorite is Drayton Hall, just because the house has been preserved, but not restored or remodeled, so it looks pretty much the same as it did when it was built in 1742.

I would also go over to Sullivan's Island or Isle of Palms for a day. I just love the laid-back beachy feel of those communities, plus the ocean breezes are nice on hot days.

Something you might want to check into if you are interested in visiting the museums and historic homes is the Charleston Heritage Passport, available from the Visitor's Center. The Passport is good for about 12 different attractions. Since you will be there 6 days, you will have time to visit quite a few attractions and if you plan on visiting more than about four attractions, the Passport will save you money. My favorite downtown homes to tour are the Aiken-Rhett house, the Nathaniel Russell House, and the Edmonston-Alston House.

Have a great trip!
Old May 31st, 2006, 01:03 PM

I agree with previous posters; Anson's to eat and Drayton Hall to visit. We took a harbor boat tour that went by Fort Sumter but we did not disembark; it was fun and full of history info and cool breezes. The Old Market is worth a visit.
Old May 31st, 2006, 01:31 PM

Don't forget the coconut cake at Peninsula Grill - if you don't wish to stay for a whole meal, you can purchase a piece (or two or three...) to go at the bar. Awesome!!
- Actually good for breakfast with a strong cup of coffee if you can make it last thru the night!
Old May 31st, 2006, 02:50 PM

Drayton Hall, for the reasons Betsy enumerates and because the setting is so lovely and the guides so interesting.

My two favorite house museums in town were the Nathaniel Russell house and the Heyward-Washington house.

Shopping in Charleston is also wonderful - DH says a little too wonderful ;-)
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:25 PM

Will you have kids with you? Mine love the aquarium. Visit the beaches one day and eat at the Boathouse on the end of Isle of Palms.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 06:12 AM
GoTravel

The South Carolina Aquarium is an excellent attraction. It is next to the origination point of the Fort Sumter Tours.

Don't miss the Coca-Cola cake from Jestine's Kitchen.

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 08:57 AM

We had a good meal at the Boathouse, too!!
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 09:07 PM

A great way to "beat the heat" and have a terrific tour of Charleston is to take the Gullah Tour (check with the visitor's center) on the a/c mini bus. Excellent guide, fun facts, and you're not staring at the back end of a horse!
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 10:35 PM

If you visit the plantations, bring mosquito repellent. At least one of them has swamplands on the property and we got bit.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:42 AM
bwg
Original Poster

Amazing! Thanks for all the tips & suggestions--keep 'em coming!
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 08:00 PM

I bought a sweetgrass basket that I treasure.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 03:06 AM

If you want a sweetgrass basket the prices are somewhat better over the bridge on US 17 north of Mt. Pleasant (maybe south also). They are sold in little stalls along the side of the road. While you are over that way, eat at one of the fish places on Shem Creek for some local color. But do be ready for sticker shock on the baskets. There is not a doubt that they are an American treasure craft but very expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -