Charleston to Savannah with stops in between in mid November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2012, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling in November from BWI to Charleston and then would like to drive to Savannah with side trips or even an overnight trip in Beufort before getting to Savannah. Is CHarleston the better airport to start or should we fly into Savannah, either way we would do round trip to one city.

Is it best to travel the week before Thanksgiving or the week of Thanksgiving as far as weather and events...flying from BWI and assuming CHarleston is the best place to start for a few days, drive to Savannah and head back to Charleston.
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 05:41 AM

I'd say whichever you can get the best airline prices for and the best times for you. I've been to both several times and people have different opinions on which they prefer. I think I prefer Savannah overall, but Charleston is great too. We spent much of the day and had a lunch in Beufort driving from Savannah to Charleston. We enjoyed it, but would probably not choose to spend the night there giving up a night in one of the other places.
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 05:46 AM

Fly into which ever airport gives you the best rate. The 2 cities are only 100 miles apart.

People will be traveling the day before Thanksgiving and the Sunday after, so 95 will be busier on those days. BWI will be busy on those days as well.

Beaufort is great. Drive out to Hunting Island for a real treat.
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

SO would 4 days in CHarleston and two in Savannah be sufficient?
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 06:15 AM

I think in terms of nights -- or by 4 days do you mean 5 nights and by two days do you mean 3 nights? The confusion is about day of arrival which may not count or day going between the two. But I'd say 3 NIGHTS in each would be ideal -- and I think there is actually more to do in Savannah than in Charleston.
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 06:20 AM

Having lived in both cities, I would disagree. But I guess it depends on your interests and what you want to do.
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 06:29 AM

Here is a link to my fairly recent TR that includes both Charleston and Savannah but much more on the former and a bit of Beufort too - perhaps you may find it useful. As far as time is concerned, both cities are wonderful and both have more than enough to do to keep you happy for the time that you have. If you are a foodie, Charleston has some of the best eating anywhere. There are also a number of interesting short trips from Charleston.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...st-sort-of.cfm
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Have just booked air, arrive in Charleston early on Nov 13th, return on the evening of 19th...3 nights in Charleston, 1 Beaufort, 2 in Savannah?Suggestions awesome
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 06:44 AM

Better that way--more in Charleston.
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 07:58 AM

You might want to take a look at my trip report; click on my name to find it.
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 01:58 PM
OO

Sorry to be the spelling police, but everyone is duplicating the first error, and it just made me a little nutz! It's Beaufort (although it's pronounced as you spelled it).

We lived in Savannah and loved living there, but I felt there was more to do in Charleston. Still, both are beautiful cities. If you love strolling the squares, you can do it endlessly in Savannah and always see something new, even after years of living there. In Charleston we strolled and shopped, and found a better variety of excellent restaurants. We did Charleston as day trips from Savannah, likewise Beaufort. Our DD's in-laws were born and raised in Beaufort, and after living all over the country and Central America, have returned to live there in retirement. It is a very small town with a very nice section of beautiful old homes, and pretty islands--lovely drive all the way out to Hunting Island State Park, but with all there is to do in both Charleston and Savannah, I would not use up a night in Beaufort!
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 02:18 PM

OO, I know. I was being all polite.
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 02:47 PM
OO

You are a nice poster, suewoo! Heavens knows, my own spelling can be pretty outrageous, so I'm a great one to talk! Have you moved yet??
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 02:56 PM

Nope. Still packing, sigh. But it's almost done! Thanks for asking. What a pane, I mean pain
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 02:58 PM
OO

. You are a good daughter too!! Good luck with the move and settling in.
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 06:23 PM

Thank you, OO. It's an honor to be a good daughter.
Old Aug 11th, 2012, 05:00 AM

the shrimp boats, the marsh, the shrimp shack, the red piano gallery, the penn center, all these places on the drive out to hunting island make beaufort a nice stop, in my humble opinion. not to mention the big chill house, old firehouse bookstore, and plumbs downtown.
Old Aug 11th, 2012, 05:38 AM

Sue, where are you moving--not from the lowcountry, I hope.
Old Aug 11th, 2012, 06:07 AM

Gretchen, I am coming home to Greensboro. My folks need me and I got my dream job!

I agree with santamonica's recs. I also like Old Sheldon Church Ruins.
Old Aug 11th, 2012, 06:33 AM
cd

Driving from Charleston I remember Beaufort's Spanish moss covered live oak trees. So beautiful! A resident told us it is illegal to cut any of the branches which is unreal as they grow across driveways and roadways. We ate at a restaurant overlooking the marsh on our way to Hunting Island which has a beautiful beach. We walked the beach for a few minutes and then continued on our way to Savannah. I'm not sure how long this day trip was as we just used it as a stop off from Charleston to Savannah but we were both glad we saw those beautiful moss covered oaks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -