Charleston to Savannah

Search

Charleston to Savannah

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charleston to Savannah

Where does someone suggest eating between the drive from Charleston, SC to Savannah, GA.? We are leaving Charleston between 4 and 5 P.M. Also, is there anything to see or visit between the two cities?
Old Oct 13th, 2011, 12:40 PM

Are you doing that drive in winter? Be aware that road is DARK at night. There's not much right on the highway. If it were me, I'd just wait til I got to Savannah. It's a 2 hour drive.
Old Oct 13th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. Yes we are leaving around 5 and with the time change it will probably be dark. I guess we will wait till Savannah to eat.
Old Oct 13th, 2011, 08:03 PM

I've been making that drive almost every month (and sometimes more) for the last year and a half. We have a home in Florida, but DH has been working in Charleston, and rents a place there. I go back and forth.

Once you pass the Hardee's in Ravenel, there is nothing on Highway 17 but gas stations and convenience stores until you get to I-95. Even at Highway 17 and I-95, you're looking at mainly fast food.

DH stopped once at a gas station (in Ashepoo, he thinks) that had a sign saying they sold sandwiches, so he asked about ordering one. The clerk came around the counter, grabbed Wonderbread and mayonnaise off the shelf and cold cuts and Kraft cheese slices out of the cooler, then came back to the register, laid down some paper towel, and asked him "did he want one or two sandwiches..."

Suewoo is right about the road being dark at night. There are also a fair number of deer along that route, too, so keep an eye out for them as they are often along the road starting at dusk.

Not sure where you are leaving from in Charleston, but I-526 and 17 both get really busy westbound starting around 3:00 p.m. and stay that way for a couple of hours. Traffic jams are pretty common, especially on I-526. Personally, I'd move your departure up a few hours, if possible, and arrive in Savannah around dinner time. I've found that if I leave by 2:00 p.m. I'm in good shape, but later than that I'm usually stuck in traffic for a bit, both around Charleston and Savannah.
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 02:29 AM

rascat,

I was wondering about you!

That gas station is at the turn-off for Jacksonboro, right? I used to have to drive to Savannah in the dark every Monday morning. The drive in the daylight is pleasant. At night, whole' nother story.

The Old Sheldon Ruins are great but you won't be able to see them at night.
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 07:21 AM

Hey suewoo!

Life got crazy busy, so I was off the forum for a bit. I've wondered about you, too! DH is renting in Mt. Pleasant, and I know that's your stomping grounds!

I think Jacksonboro is the place, but with DH it's hard to tell. I wasn't with him on that trip. His sense of direction is so off around Charleston that I bought him one of those little suction cup compasses for his truck! Good thing he isn't involved with the guidance systems on those planes

marilynb7, another option might be to get a "box lunch" to eat on the road. There are enough gourmet stores and restaurants that I'd bet you could get an amazing one somewhere. I bet suewoo could give you some good ideas on that. I've seen places advertise them on the roads out to the beach, just not sure around downtown.
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 07:25 AM

Opps, also wanted to mention that I'd love to see those ruins, but I usually have two cats in the car with me, so I don't get to see much. I've teased DH that I'm going to get one of those pet strollers to give me more freedom!

Now, if someone needs advise on traveling with pets on that stretch, I'm your gal!
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 02:22 PM

Wait! It just came to me! It's not a place where you sit down-it's take out only. It's called Fishnet and it's a fish market. They have the best fried shrimp anywhere but you'll have to eat in the car. It's just out side of Charleston on the right, next to a chicken place/gas station that has a huge red and yellow sign. It looks like a shack, but it's fabulous.

rascat, you don't even need to get out of the car to see the ruins. The old graves are interesting, but you might be able to do it for a minute. I just took my Loved Ones ( 1 cat, 1 dog) to NC to stay while I go to Germany for work. I'm home alone for the first time in 14 years!
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 03:49 PM

Is that chicken/gas place "Dodges Chicken" out past Bees Ferry Road? DH has a fondness for greasy spoons and fried chicken. If I tell him there is also good shrimp next door, he'll definitely insist we stop! He's working out in Everett, WA for a few weeks, then coming back to Florida, and then we'll drive back to Mt. P. Maybe I need to bargain for a stop at the ruins in exchange for stopping for fried chicken and shrimp!

It must seems strange not having the furbabies around. I'm always checking on mine as soon as I get in the door.

Will you be in Germany long? DS2 lived and worked over there for a year and loved it. Hope it's not all work and no play. There are so many great things to do and see!
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 10:52 AM

That's the one. If you are facing Dodge's, Fishnet's on the right. Let me know how you do.

I'll be overseas for 2 months.