COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Charleston, south carolina hotels

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Charleston, south carolina hotels

Hi fellow fodorites: I hope you can help. We're looking for a historic district hotel in Charleston for after Christmas that is charming but roomy enough for us with our 12-year-old son. We don't want a chain, but don't want a B & B either! We're hoping for something in the $175-250 range. Thanks for any suggestions!Annealex
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:42 PM

Have you checked Mills House? Harborview?
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:23 AM

I know you don't want a chain but.....
the Marriott Renaissance was a wonderful hotel with an unbeatable location for wandering and seeing the sights. With a 12 year old boy I would opt for a larger room for space for all of you rather than something charming and smaller. He would love their breakfast!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:30 AM
GoTravel

Check out the Andrew Pinckney Hotel. It is a wonderful hotel with townhouses in addition to regular hotel rooms. It is very reasonable and the location is excellent. The price includes breakfast on the rooftop which has fabulous views of Charleston and the harbor.

http://www.andrewpinckneyinn.com/

Whatever you do, don't stay outside Charleston proper. My husband and I just spent a couple days down there because someone gave us a gift of a hotel room for two nights across the river and it didn't work. It wasn't even like visiting Charleston.

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. So far, I've checked on Mills House and while it's a Holiday Inn, looks terrific. I will check out the other suggestions as well and I really appreciate your ideas! The kid does change the equation a bit -- but we are so happy to have him along!Annealex.