charleston,sc westin/restaurants

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 09:09 PM
mist

charleston,sc westin/restaurants

Charleston for one night for my best friend who is visiting from Texas and I am from Atlanta. Is the westin nice, good location? W are planning on Slightly north of Broad, Magnolia's and Cypress. Did we miss the best? Any one not recommend these rests?
Thanks

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 09:26 PM
janie

Peninsula Grill, in the Planters Inn was amazing. Pricey and worth it dinner.
SNOB was very good, had a inexpensive lunch there in lieu of dinner.
Magnolia's and Cypress (and Blossom Cafe) are all owned by the same team,(and are on the same block, across the street from SNOB) so you may want to pick one. The menus for all 3 of them are posted at http://www.magnolias-blossom.com/
PS How are you planning to go to all of the restaurants if only in Charleston for one night???

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 12:58 PM
me

What about the Westin? The Francis MArion? Anybody know?

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 02:21 PM
linda

We spent New Year's Eve at the Westin Francis Marion. it is truly an old hotel with all the virtues and problems. It is not a charming Southern inn kind of place but more of a business hotel. All the rooms are different. They are more than adequate but you'll not leave thinking you had a "Charleston" experience.

Location is fine; near Visitors Center. Price is good. However, for one night I might splurge and stay at one of the B&Bs or Inns near the Market.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 10:25 PM
Andy

The Frances Marion is out of the loop on King St.- to really experiene the real CHarleston, try the Elliot House Bnb near the Market- it serves cont.bkfst in room on silver service, has outdoor jacuzzi under a grape arbor (great to have wine and cheese) and also loans out their bikes to ride down to the Battery--definitely go to Magnolias and ask for a table in the back room-it's very private and decorated with HUGE pux of Magnolias-one of our favorite rest.--Also you can try Louis' for terrific french cuisine

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 03:10 PM
Penney

Slightly North of Broad (S.N.O.B.) is wonderful! We were just there last week for lunch and everything was incredible!

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 12:43 PM
me

I just got back and the Westin was great for $99/night..a couple of blocks away but nice. Staff extremely friendly and we ate at Charleston Grill...out of this world!