Charleston SC in September?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering a week-long trip to Charleston in September. Is this a good time of year to visit?

We're interested in historical places, getting out into the countryside, beach time, and good local food.

I know it's hurricane season ... what is the likelihood of decent weather in September? Is it really humid and hot?

Any info or suggestions for places to stay, visit, eat, etc. much appreciated. We are a couple in our late 50s/early 60s from California. Although my husband grew up in the Charleston area, he has not been back since he was in his teens. We travel internationally quite a bit, but as far as the US south, we have only been to New Orleans (in April 2009), and to the outer banks of NC a few years ago. We went in July and although it was very hot, we were fine.
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 11:13 AM

Hey and welcome. Yes, it's hot in September, but, if you stay in the Historic District you can stop in and cool off during the hot part of the day. That time of year the heat builds up during the day and thunderstorms often pop up. Just duck into a store or restaurant or bar and wait it out. I love those summer storms. Or, if you're at the beach, get back from the water. It cools things off. For a few minutes.

There are many historical sights here and some really great restaurants. Do get trip insurance. If we have a mandatory hurricane evacuation you can recoup some of your money.
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 01:33 PM

Early in the month, the weather is still very hot. However, the heat and humidity later in September are much more pleasant than it is in August or earlier in the month. I usually go north in August, and return to the lowcountry in mid-September.

September days around Charleston are still lovely for the beach (if you are interested) but also great for touring. The nights are cooler, so bring a light wrap.

Since you are interested in history, you might enjoy one of the Preservation Society's "candlelight" tours of private homes and gardens, which start on Sept. 22 in 2011 - http://www.preservationsociety.org/tour_dates.asp

The only real concern about September weather is the possibility of a tropical storm or hurricane. (Hurricane Hugo struck The Battery on the night Sept 21, 1989). Charleston has been lucky in recent years, but trip insurance is a good idea for anyone traveling during Atlantic hurricane season.
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 09:19 AM

If it were me, I'd consider dividing my week -- 3 days in town; 3 or 4 days at the beach. September is my favorite time at the beach. Kiawah is especially lovely in September -- no crowds, prices are way down, beach is at its best.
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 10:04 AM

I second Dove. I would spend a few days at Folly Beach or spend a few days in Savannah, GA. Visit Middleton Place and Drayton Hall on Ashley River Road W of Charleston. Stop for lunch at historic Beaufort, SC on your way to Savannah.

Drayton Hall @ 3380 Ashley River Road, Charleston, SC 843 - 769 - 2600.
http://www.draytonhall.org/
Middleton Place @ 4300 Ashley River Road, Charleston, SC 843 - 556 - 6020.
http://www.middletonplace.org/