Reload this Page >

Charleston?Savannah in August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Michael

Seriously considering a 5 day visit to Charleston and then onto Savannah in late July or early August. We're celebrating our 30th anniversary. My wife is a teacher so the summer is our only travel season. Went to AZ last year and the heat wasn't at all back for a PA resident. Is this time of year to humid, hot, and buggy? Love to stay at B&Bs too. Many seem quite $$$$ any suggestions?

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 06:27 AM
OliveOyl

Michael, we used to live in Savannah and the humidity that time of year is oppressive. If you could go during spring break (may be too late now for reservations as that's a very popular time of year) you would be infinitely happier with your experience. Savannah is bad, but Charleston felt even worse--the difference being that there is more concrete in Charleston to retain and reflect heat, and less shade than Savannah.

Spring is beautiful though, and the last week in March and first in April will find the azaleas which bloom in mass in both cities, in full bloom. It is a spectacular time to see either city.

Now...bugs...the ones that make you crazy in Savannah are gnats, or no-seeum's. They bite like the dickens and the weather we like happens to be the same they find delightful, so their season seems to be spring and fall too. If there is no breeze, they'll be present, but the moment the wind comes up, even a little, they're gone. Likewise they're gone when it's too hot or cold. I wouldn't let them stop me though--Skin-So-Soft keeps them away from your skin and a hat (plus staying clear of hair spray) keeps them out of your hair.

Simply because summer is "off season" in both cities, you will find lower rates that time of year, but really, the heat and humidity isn't to be taken lightly! It is something, even after living in it!

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 08:13 AM
Randa

I live in SC and wouldn't recommend anyone vacationing in Charleston during the summer. It's very hot of course, but the humidity makes it unbearable, even for me! Pick another, more tolerable climate, for your destination and save Charleston for a spring or fall trip.

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Cindy

OliveOyl - our kids are heading to Savannah for a long weekend at the River Street Inn in September. Are the no-seeums still a nuisance then? I don't know when exactly they are visiting, but if the gnats are still a problem I'm sure packing Skin-So-Soft would be a VERY acceptable fix!

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Polly

In addition to wearing a hat to abate the 'no-seeum' annoyance, I have found it helpful to hold my hand above my head...no joke! They seem to gravitate to the highest point!

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 07:29 PM
OliveOyl

Cindy...stick the Skin So Soft in, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Chances are it will still be too hot for them. At worst they are a slight annoyance. You brush them away, scratch as they bite, but the bites are nothing like mosquito or chigger bites which itch for days.

Have never heard of Polly's trick, but it sounds as if it would work. They do seem to have an affinity for head, ears and neck. You'll have to wear mittens to fool them and not be bitten in the hand. gt; Might look a little odd but there are odder things in town than that! lol

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Brent

Michael, I grew up in Pa, live in North Carolina now and have spent a lot of time in Charleston. Forget August! The heat and humidity will make it impossible to enjoy your stay. Charleston heat and AZ heat are worlds apart.
If you do go and want to stay in a B&B, pay the price for a good location near the battery. Any bargains at outer locations may be in questionable "transition " areas. Neighborhoods can change very quickly.
A great city but go for Spoleto!!

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Denise

Michael,

Earlier would probably be better than later for Charleston. That said, however, we vacationed there every July or August for over 20 years but stayed out at Kiawah (the beach) and just drove into town a few times, just recently switching to June. It can be stifiling in town in the heat of summer but it also depends on your tolerance. There is definitely the humidity factor compared to AZ. We've never had a problem with bugs in town no matter which month we've gone. Out on Kiawah is another story...