Charleston or Savannah

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 09:20 PM
Terry

Charleston or Savannah

My wife and I are spending 3 days in the South, planning on seeing both Savannah and Charleston, but unsure where to stay. We're also trying to keep to a budget, and have been able to tentatively book the Charleston Riverview Hotel for a reasonable amount. How is that for access to the historic area? Anybody know if it's a decent hotel?

Thanks for your help.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 07:17 AM
me

charleston ,no contest

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 07:19 AM
xxx

GO TO PRICELINE.COM!!!!!!!!!!

Geez.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Austin

For convenience, if you have your heart set on seeing both cities, you may want to consider staying in Beaufort, SC, if you would be at all interested in staying in a small quiet town. Beaufort has a lovely but small downtown, complete with a promenade along the waterfront that's paved with oyster shells, plus there are some plantation homes and your typical antebellum architecture. The reason I suggest it is because Beaufort is halfway between Charleston and Savannah. Also, there are some nice beaches nearby.

Just a thought.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Milton

Split the difference and location and upgrade your vacation. Stay in Hilton Head.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 09:54 AM
xxx

Milton, Charleston is much nicer than Hilton Head.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 10:05 AM
milton

Been to both Hilton Head and Charleston MULTIPLE times. Hilton Head is much, much nicer. Charleston a mere wannabe.

I am expert on these matters so the discussion is settled. Hilton Head is much, much better than Charleston.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 10:15 AM
xxx

To each his or her own but you really can't say Hilton Head is nicer. How many times does HH get on the "Best Cities in the US" lists? Not often but Charleston does all the time.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Milton

Flawed logic.

How many times does Maui-Wailea, Kapalua, etc get on Best City list? Never but where would you rather go?

Charleston has rough areas where I would not walk during daylight hours much less evening hours.

Hilton Head has no crime problem like Charleston.

Hilton Head has better golf than Charleston.

Charleston and Hilton Head have equal number of fine restaurants and upscale shopping.

Better beaches (by far) in Hilton Head.

The facts speak for themselves. Hilton head is better.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 12:31 PM
jt

Savannah - for the rare person with good taste and without the need for distractions beyond historical charm.

Charleston - for the more common type with interest in history and sights, but needing and accepting all kinds of dissonant modern urban distractions.

Aren't Hilton Head or west Maui for a totally different

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Mike

Charleston, hands down over Hilton Head and Savannah. Hilton Head is in a different category than the other two, and Charleston is primo. Read the travel magazines and you'll not see the other two in top ten lists for hotels rest'runts or anything like you do Charleston.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 05:08 PM
Jim

Terry, Charleston and Savannah hate each other, its true. Both are wonderful with Savannah being more New Orleans-like and Charleston being more Natchez-like. It will be hard to do both in only 3 days, because they both have so much to see. I've never even heard of the Charleston Riverview but I do have some suggestions that wont break the bank. The Andrew Pinckney which does almost no advertising so not much is known about it. It may very well be one of the best bargains in Charlestons historic district and actually has a nice location right by the market. My room was fine, but some of the rooms aren't as nice. The Elliott House often has rooms for just over 100.00 Savannah has a Days Inn which is actually pretty nice. I highly recommend Poogans Porch for dinner in Charleston and next door is 82 Queen also good.
Comparing Charleston to Hilton Head is just ridiculous, there too entirely different places. That would be like comparing Boston to Key West.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 05:10 PM
Jim

I forgot this earlier. It took me just over an hour to drive route 17 from Savannah to Charleston and yes, Beaufort is almost in the middle and well worth a look.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 07:16 PM
funky

Please don't tell the people in Charleston that their city is being held up against Natchez, using Natchez as the standard for comparison.

That's like someone saying "you know, my neighbor's new $80,000 BMW can really hold its own against my Special Edition Chevy Lumina".

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 04:56 AM
Patrick

Have stayed in both Charleston and Savannah a number of times. This past week, we drove from Florida to Columbia, South Carolina to visit with friends and stopped for an afternoon and night in Savannah going up and an afternoon and night in Charleston coming back.

Charleston is the winner hands down, in my opinion, mainly because the historic district is so concentrated. Savannah is more scattered with lots of various commercial and run down areas dividing up everything. We found good rates on the Marriott website -- the year-or-so old Courtyard by Marriott in Savannah right on the edge of the historic district and easy walking to everything for $98. In Charleston we stayed at the new Renaissance on Wentworth between King and Meeting for $107.00. Maybe these were super deals due to the slowness of early Thanksgiving week, but both were very nice hotels for the money.

What is the Charleston Riverview Hotel?
There is a Holiday Inn Riverview Hotel, but it is on the west side of the peninsula, about a two mile walk to the center of the historic district.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 12:09 PM
xxx

Charleston is the best. Then Savannah. Hilton Head doesn't enter the picture. It is a golfing/tennis/beach resort but no place to stay for the activities you go to Charleston and Savannah for.
Stay in Beaufort? You've got to be kidding. It's OK on its own, but not as a base for visiting either Charleston or Savannah. Who'd want to drive those roads at night after enjoying a fine dinner and wine?

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Jim

Re: Funky, ...eh, if you say so. The point I was trying to make was that Charleston was more sedate, genteel in a southern/antebellum kind of way. Having already used Savannah, Beaufort, and New Orleans it was hard to think of another place to compare it to. Natchez came to mind, but of coarse Natchez doesn't have Saks

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 07:15 AM
xxx

No, Austin, I wouldn't. But you miss my point. In Savannah or Charleston you can stay right in the historic area, walk to many great restaurants and walk (or if you want take a cheap taxi) back to your hotel. By the way, having a couple of drinks or wine with dinner and driving is not the same as "being drunk" and the connotations it gives. I usually drink with dinner and would rather not drive anywhere, but that is hardly what I'd call being drunk.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Rebecca

Charleston is my favorite. When my husband and I go every year we actually stay in Kiawah, SC which is easily drivable to Charleston (about 20 minutes south). It is a beautiful, private, coastal island (only one small hotel) and rental properties (see web site). It won't be as convienent to Savannah but you could spend a couple of days in Kiawah/Charleston then head to Savannah for a day. Respond back if you want rental info on Kiawah as we have a friend with a 3 BR house with reasonable rental rates. Eat at the "Pennisula Grille" and at "Slightly North of Broad" in Charleston while there(they are a treat).

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 06:51 PM
MJ

Last winter we went to both Charleston and Savannah on our way to the Florida. We stayed one night at the Vendue Inn in Charleston. Very nice B/B! I love Charleston, it's very historical. Its more upscale southern. Savannah was great also. We stayed 2 nights at the Days Inn a block from the river walk. Savannah is very nice, historical and fun. I think it's more casual than Charleston, so it depends on what you are looking for. The river walk is great. And Savannah has it's share of fine dining etc. The Pirate House was fun. If you are going, read or watch the movie "midnight in the garden of good and evil". My husband and I downloaded a walking book tour that took you to all the places in the book. It was fun. The people are very friendly there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information