Search

Charleston in March

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2003, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charleston in March

1) Ideas on the weather in Charleston in March?
2) Thinking of arriving Wednesday and leaving either Sunday or Monday afternoon. Want time to relax as well as explore. Never been to city. Thoughts.
3) Should I skip a car and just rent one for a day if I want to get out of the city? Or is there enough reason to have a car the whole time?
Thanks,
doug
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 09:30 AM

dktenor--

Weather in March is IDEAL...warm- like 70's +

You do NOT need a car in Charleston- just about everything you need is in walking distance- or cab ride.. Unless you can get a cheap car rate...Parking is not too expensive at the hotels...

If you cannot do a lot of walking ,like 8 blocks each way or so, you may want a car to do the initial driving. Park car and then walk in certain areas...

Look at the Elliot House Inn--it is a good BnB and right near the Market area and around the corner from KING street..THE street with all the antique and neat shops..

Also, check to see when the HOMES TOUR is on...If it is in MARCH, then reserve hotel room now and definitely do the PRIVATE homes tour..it is terrific.
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the tips.
We will not be there for the homes tour. I think that it is the next week after our visit.

Any thoughts on length of stay? Right now I'm thinking of 5 days/4 nights OR
6 days/5 nights.
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 01:26 PM

dk-= Have no idea where you are flying in from-- you can easily do Charleston in 5 days/4 nites...

I normally go for a weekend-- but I live about 6 hrs from Charleston..so I go about once a year...
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Hi, and again thanks. One last followup question.
(first to answer your question - I'm flying from Chicago to escape winter).
We'll be pampering ourselves on this trip - probably staying at either Charleston Place or Planters Inn. Quite a departure from our usual B&B fare.

Anyway, you state 4 nights/5 days is enough. What if I say that one day we'll probably do a "spa". We might also want to get a car and go outside the city. Does 4 nights/5 days still stand?

Thanks again.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 06:23 PM

Dk- NO, if you do the spa and also drive out of the city for the day, bump the time up to 6 days/5 nites..

Just my opinion though...

Charleston is a fabulous walking city---and tons of neat little antique shops,boutiques ( NOTHING like Chicago-just different), and the marketplace area is chock full of gifty type stores)..

Also check with Chamber of Commerce to see if there is any Opera or Symphony there at the time you are in town...The Charleston Symphony is GREAT~

Make sure you do a carriage ride thru the battery area.....and go thru the 2 historic homes that are open to paying viewers..

Guess what- I went onto a Charleston Website and the FESTIVAL of HOMES TOURS is IN MARCH this year: Mar.18 to be exact!! :

http://www.charlestonlowcountry.com/...ndGardens.html

DEFINITELY get tkts and see it...You normally have to buy a tkt to a particular street and that gets you in to see about 4-5 houses--it is an all day affair...FABULOUS homes with real people living in them--with all the modern conveniences but yet historically perfect..

Also look at the main website to see if there is anything else to your liking..

ENJOY Charleston- It is one of my FAVORITE cities....
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Andy , Thanks very much. We'll go with the 5 nights. Unfortunately we can't be there for the house tour. Wife and I are both singers and this is the only open week we have for R&R.
doug
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 07:20 PM

Have a blast anyway- even if you miss the homes tour...

Restaurants to try:

Magnolias ( ask for a room in the back-very romantic)

Ansons

Cypress

Blossom Cafe ( for lunch)

Baker's Cafe on King for breakfast

Peninsula Grille

This should give you enough places to eat!! Have a blast!
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Just want to say thank you to all who helped out. (especially Andy) Got back from 6 wonderful days at Charleston Place. Ate at
Charleston Grill
Peninsula Grill
Poogan's Porch
Anton's
Magnolias
Not a bad meal in the bunch. Our favorite meal was at Charleston Grill (most expensive too). Only complaint (minor one) was that Peninsula Grill a bit noisy.

Wonderful walking city. If you like history - boat to Sumter is worth it. Also enjoyed Magnolia Plantation.

thanks again,
doug