Charleston for 3 days

Search

Charleston for 3 days

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charleston for 3 days

My husband and I haven't been without our 3 kids in a few years. We have chosen Charleston to spend 3 days (not including traveling.) I'd like advice on where to stay and what would you do for your 3 days. I really want to spend a day at the beach,but 1) which one? and 2) can you go for just the day, rent a bike, etc.? Should we just pack a backpack? How would we get there? rent a car? And fron the airport, should we just taxi? I know I want to stay downtown. As you can see...it's been a while since we've traveled! I can't wait for your suggestions! Thank you.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 12:03 PM

Many of the questions you have can be found in previous posts regarding Charleston. Just do a search. Especially look for a trip report by GoTravel - lots of recommendations. T
he time of year you intend to visit might greatly influence the things you do while visiting. If you're just staying downtown, a car in not necessary. If you plan on heading out of the historic area, a car might be the most economical way, even for just a day. Bike rentals are available, but to rent for a day at the beach might require some creative arrangements since most places drop off the bikes where you're staying. If you're not staying at the beach, getting the bike there is the issue. You can also rent bikes in Charleston. Three days can fly by in Charleston since there is so much to do. If you have specific preferences, there are lots of people that watch this board to steer you the right way.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, dsgmi.
I had perused the site for Charleston stuff, but somehow had not given the GoTravel post my attention. What a help, thanks. I am still not clear on my day at the beach...spell it out for me . Take a cab to Kiawah Island and hang on the beach for the day? Finding restaurants along the way? Or is it worth it and I should just spend my time in Charleston? Thanks!
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 07:10 PM

If you're staying in Charleston and you want to go to the beach, I would go to one of the three that are closest to the city, instead of driving all the way to Kiawah. My personal favorite is Sullivan's Island, but Isle of Palms and Folly Beach are both nice. Sullivan's Island and IOP are both around 20 minutes from downtown. Depending on when you're going and how long you want to spend at the beach, I would rent a car, because a cab will cost an arm and a leg and then you'll be stuck pretty much wherever you're dropped off. If you head to IOP or Sullivan's Island, you could stop by Mike's Bikes on Coleman Blvd in Mt. Pleasant and rent bikes. They have a website and you could ask about delivery to the beach or how you might pick them up. There are other bike shops in the area, but Mike's website states that they rent by the hour and the day, which sounds like it might fit your plans.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 06:19 AM

I visited Charleston during April 2008. I booked airfare and an B&B; no tour. I stayed at the King George B&B near the University. It's a great location -- quiet at night and I was able to walk to ALL sites other than the bus tours to the plantations (Boone Hall and Magnolia). I don't suggest renting a car; don't think you will need it. I took a shuttle from the airport to the B&B; think it was $25.

At at future time, I would like visit Charleston again during Christmas time.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 06:20 AM

Betsy has very good points about the closer beaches; Kiawah is at least 45 minutes away...but if bike riding is the draw, there are at least 10 miles of bike paths in addition to the beach at Kiawah. Access is through Beachwalker park, so check their hours. At certain times of the year they are only open on the weekends. The historic section of Mt. Pleasant would be great to ride bikes around in. We dined at the Old Village Post House this summer and enjoyed our meal very much.

There are so many things to do in the area - walking tours, visiting historic homes/buildings, seeing the Hunley, Ft. Sumpter, outlying plantations, the aquarium, dining, carraige tours, shopping, the ocean, nature excursions, etc that having a basic want-to-do-list is probably the place to start. Charleston has some of the best dining anywhere, so some thought in that vein is probably a good idea also.

Old Sep 12th, 2008, 09:24 AM

If you haven't already booked a hotel in Charleston, you might consider spending 2 nights in a 1 BR condo on Kiawah (the Santuary hotel is nice, but pricey); it's such a beautiful place (we especially like it in fall & spring) & love walks on the beach, biking all over the numerous paths & the beach, watching the sunset over the marshes & the egrets. Restaurants are decent or you could buy meals already prepared at The Market at Town Center. The drive out to Kiawah via John's Island is very pretty as well. If you wanted to, you could spend your last night in downtown Charleston at a hotel/inn/B & B. When my parents visited us a couple of years ago from Fl, we met up at Kiawah & actually drove from there to downtown Charleston for dinner at Magnolia's one evening.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 10:43 AM

Two Meeting Street is one of the nicest B and B's in the historic district. We stayed in the carriage room over the old carriage drop off....fantastic porches, just a great spot.

Kiawah is awesome as well.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 02:10 PM

I just booked our hotel in downtown Charleston for the end of March 2009.

I used priceline and my bid for $100 per night was accepted be the Mills House Hotel.

We are looking forward to our stay here. Trip Advisor reviews are very good and some people on Fodors said it is a very nice hotel in a good location.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 03:06 PM

We didn't go to the beach our last visit, but here is my trip report which might have some useful info for you as well as some web links I used when planning -

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35085382
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 07:14 PM

Folly Beach is a great beach outside Charleston. Taxis aren't widely used in Charleston, so you should rent a car. The drive is easy! You've booked a GREAT charming and historic hotel in the Mills House! Right across the street I suggest Poogan's Porch restaurant for dinner. I also suggest a S.N.O.B. (Slighty North of Broad), Magnolia's, and a new addition to Market Street, Mercado. Also great desserts at Kaminskis! We also have also done (and suggested to many folks with great reviews) the walks provided by Charleston Walks company- there's a ghost walk at night, a house walk, several history walks, and a "wicked" Charleston walk with tales of pirate and speakeasy days. The weather this time of year is still HOT so come prepared. Wear comfy shoes as the downtown streets are the old cobblestone and NOT for heels
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for everyone's suggestions. I feel more prepared than I have ever been for a vacation!! Special thanks to escargot...just read over your post...lots of help!
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 10:39 AM

glad it was of help - do take notes and come back and post a trip report to let us know what you did, etc and update us on gorgeous Charleston and the area !