Reload this Page >

Charleston for 3 day weekend..help with sights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 08:27 AM
rita

Will be in Charleston w/e of 9/22 for 3 days.First time visit there, what not to miss as far as tours, restaurants ($$$) in short time. Have tickets for Candlelight home tour one evening. Thanks!

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 09:07 AM
dan woodlief

I went in October a couple of years ago, and I have a long travelogue with lots of photos from a four day stay on my developing Web site at oneeyed.homestead.com.

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 09:14 AM
howard

Put the Middleton Place plantation on your must-see list.

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 09:17 AM
Pam

Could I make the suggestion that you first do a search on this site for Charleston. There's been an awful lot of information posted here that will cover just what your wondering about. In addition, I went to Charleston for the first time last March and fell in love with the city. I was there on a sailboat, so perhaps got a little different perspective than staying in a particular hotel or area. However, don't miss the Market area, the Battery and if you can get your hands on some bikes, just explore. The streets are layed out so that it's quite easy to get around and with a bike you can get from one side of town to the other with ease. Enjoy yourselves!

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 08:18 PM
elaine

rita,

Howard advised us to go to Middleton Place...he was correct, as usual.
Pam's suggestion to start a 'search' is worthy, as there is much to see/do in Charleston. Folks have different interests...so hard to advise.
You may want to consider a carriage ride upon your arrival. This will give you good overview of the historic area.
We were in Charleston late May (our 2nd visit).
Restaurants we enjoyed:
Peninsula Grill (reservations necessary)
Hanks (wonderful fish/seafood - also reservations necessary)
Blossom Cafe (reservations)
82 Queen (for lunch/dinner - reservations)
Hominey Grill - lunch/dinner - off beaten path, but worth it.
Enjoy your trip!

Old Sep 16th, 2000, 02:53 PM
Lauren

One place I enjoyed was the new Charleston Aquarium, especially if you have children. It's nicely built over the water; also, usually much cooler inside than out!

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 09:12 PM
sue

In order of excellence we'll start with plantations. 1) Middleton 2) Magnolia (with a great swamp walk) and 3)Boone Hall. As for homes you can tour start with the Edmonston-Alston House 2) Nathanial Russell House and 3) Aiken-Rhett House. Don't miss a day at Patriots Point and tour the USS Yorktown (an aircraft carrier). As for restaurants I agree the Peninsula Grill is excellent. If you are looking for some low country cooking the locals like Jestines.

Have a great trip.