Charleston-area beaches

Search

Charleston-area beaches

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charleston-area beaches

My husband and I will be visiting Charleston this weekend. We would like to put in a little beach time. What area public beach would you recommend? I know Folly Beach is one of the closest beaches, but I've heard the ocean has some rough undertow - is this accurate?
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 05:22 PM

You can head over to Isle of Palms. The beach over there is pretty good...haven't been to Folly in years. We do get some pretty bad undertows at all the beaches out here. Just heed the warnings and you should be fine. Enjoy your visit!
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, travelgirl! Anyone else?
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:43 AM

No, Folly is fine for swimming, it's the surfing beach in Charleston.

There are serious rip currents at either end of the island, but those are well marked, and you would be able to tell by looking it's not the best area to swim.

Isle of Palms is great for a day trip too. Restaurants and bars and pick-up beach volleyball. Public bathrooms and outdoor showerheads. IoP is more commercial which may or not be a good thing depending on what you are looking for.

Depending on the weather, you can have glass or you can have big-time tow and rough surf at either location, just like anywhere else on the Atlantic coast, i suppose. When I say tow, I mean along the shore, not out to sea! You just have to walk back to where you are staying after you get out of the water.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:44 AM

Folly is probably a bit more "hip" -- lots of surfers there, which may tell you something about the waves.

My personal favorite is Sullivan's Island, which is quiet, with calm waves and easier parking than Isle of Palms, plus you can drive around and oogle the amazing array of architecture.

B/