Chapel Hill...OR...Charlottesville ?

Jun 12th, 2012, 02:39 PM
ljv
Original Poster

Chapel Hill...OR...Charlottesville ?

I and my 2 daughters are relocating from New Jersey to either CH or C-ville. I have done quite a bit of research on both, so know what to expect in the way of cost of living, school system, entertainment offerings,etc..

I'd be interested in opinions as to why one locale is preferable over the other, and the reasons for that preference. We're leaving on a roadtrip next week to get a feel for both areas, and I'd like input from people who've visited or lived in either location.

Thanks in advance everyone.

P.S. We'll be renting for one year and employment is not a consideration at the moment.
Jun 12th, 2012, 04:30 PM

Wow!! 2 great choices. 2 of my youngest sons top 3 Universities he wants to go to. You obviously know
Chapel Hill is more expensive. The weather is probably a little warmer in Chapel Hill than Charlottesville. I love both of those areas. Take a look at Lake Monticello when you are in Charlottesville. I am interested to hear what others think. This is a tough choice!!
Jun 12th, 2012, 05:58 PM

What part of NJ? That is where I moved from over 7 years ago.
Jun 13th, 2012, 04:01 AM
ljv
Original Poster

bigal....We're from central Jersey...Westfield.
Jun 13th, 2012, 04:19 AM

Charlottesville has a lot less traffic and is lovelier IMO than Chapel Hill. There is a peacefulness to Charlottesville that Chapel Hill doesn't have IME.
Jun 13th, 2012, 04:42 AM

Charlottesville would be my pick as well.
Given your situation I would also suggest Asheville NC.
Jun 13th, 2012, 04:43 AM

Westfield NJ has such a beautiful downtown. I used to work at the Woodbridge Hilton nearby. I lived in Morris County in my youth.
Jun 13th, 2012, 05:20 AM

Charlottesville is going to have more snow and ice in the winter. The town itself is more urban than Chapel Hill but the surrounding area seems more rural to me than Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill has the other triangle cities Durham and Raleigh nearby while Charlottesville is an hour from Richmond.

If you like skiing you'd want to pick Charlottesville. It's 45 min from a ski area.
Jun 13th, 2012, 05:26 AM

Or maybe rather than Asheville, Hillsborough near Chapel Hill. I sort of wonder about the underlying reasons for these two picks. State residency for college?
YOu'll want to check on the tax structure also, I'd imagine.
Jun 13th, 2012, 05:32 AM

Birdie "hit the nail on the head" in regards to my main thoughts that would be on the favor side of Chapel Hill. Charlottesville I think has more charm but like Birdie said it is more rural around the City than Chapel Hill where there are 3 Major Universities nearby and the weather will be a little warmer. But as Janet says, there is more a peacefulness to Chalottesville. One of these areas might be our future main home with a second home on Lake Norman.
Jun 13th, 2012, 06:03 AM

If you like great food, a choice of cultural events, city and rural experiences, top hospitals, great weather (no ice storms), then Chapel Hill is your choice. Charlottesville is pretty.
Jun 13th, 2012, 07:33 AM

Chapel Hill doesn't get ice storms?

The winters in either choice (plus Asheville) will be MUCH milder than NJ. Winter meetings in NJ were horrid. I had my own NJ winter coat for meetings at our corporate headquarters. I rarely wore (a much lighter) winter coat during the same months working in NC. We're talking apples and oranges here.
Jun 13th, 2012, 08:44 AM

I would think that Charlottesville would have more ice and snow than Chapel Hill being further North and not far from DC. I do rememeber living in NJ that DC had some bad snow storms also. But I would not think as bad or as long of a winter season than NJ for either.
Jun 13th, 2012, 08:56 AM

A family member lived about 70 miles north and considered their winters mild. Janet lives about 70 miles SE and has said she rarely wears a winter coat. Any of those will have much milder winters then NJ.

Most weather systems that bring ice storms to the SE are large and usually impact more than one state during it's lifetime (the storm's lifetime). I find it interesting that Chapel Hill is ice storm free. It rarely snows in Charleston, SC but I've woken up to snow in Charleston. The snow was on the ground until Columbia but the uplands were clear of snow. Weather happens. It will be colder at the edge of the mountains of NC/VA but many who live there still consider their winters "mild".
Jun 13th, 2012, 08:58 AM

Probably not a whole lot of difference in ice and snow between the two. There is a most interesting "line" that is about 20 miles north of Charlotte where the snow and ice hit. When the big ones come,charlottesville will get more, of course. But geez, nothing like NJ as Starrs says.
Winter in NC is mild to non-existent some years, this one being one of them.
Is the OP asking about summer?!!! Hmmmmm. There's a topic.
Jun 13th, 2012, 10:29 AM
ljv
Original Poster

SO....very interesting insights into both areas. Having lived in the NE my entire life, including an incredibly cold,snowy stint in NH, I'm sure both Charlottesville and Chapel Hill will be an improvement.

I'm sure the summers will also be a bit hotter....however, Jersey is "semi-tropical" and has the humidity to prove it.

One other question which I'm really interested in having an answer for....Does either area have an issue with the 13 yr or 17 yr cyclical cicada emergence? Westfield,NJ is expected to experience this phenom again in spring of 2013, and it's something I do NOT wish to repeat.
Jun 13th, 2012, 11:29 AM

No 17-year cicadas in C-ville even though they do happen just a short 2 hours away in NoVa. Bummer for me since I think they're cool insects.

Charlottesville has top medical care, cultural events, and terrific dining. It is more rural in the surrounding areas, which I would consider a "plus"--others may not.
Jun 13th, 2012, 11:29 AM

Yes, and we've just had ours a year or so ago.
Jun 13th, 2012, 12:28 PM

One of the worst ice storms I have ever been caught in was in Raleigh several years ago when our daughter was competing in a horse show there.

To me, the Research Triangle area of NC is something of a clusterf***. That makes me crazy.

For me, Charlottesville has a good balance of many things and none of the things that are my deal breakers.
Jun 13th, 2012, 12:34 PM

"To me, the Research Triangle area of NC is something of a clusterf***. That makes me crazy."

LOL! Janet, that's a perfect way to describe it. I hate it too. I don't want to offend anyone but there is no way I would choose to move to that area. In fact, I quit a job when my manager wanted me to move. I accepted the job with the promise to move to NC or SC within a year. When I realized where HE wanted me to move...I quit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO