Changing airlines at oahu airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone. I am trying to plan a trip for myself and DH. We plan on visiting Oahu and Kauai. Our last leg of our trip will be in Kauai. I would like to book round trip airfare in and out of Oahu and a seperate round trip on Hawaiian Air for the inter island flight. Doing it this way is much more cost effective. My husband wants me to book a multi leg trip where fly straight from Kauai to the main land, which is more expensive, but he feels is easier. So my question is, is it easy to retrive your luggage at HNL and then recheck on second airline? Or will Hawaiian air check it all the through? Or should I stick with my husbands plan? Thank you for all your adice in advance.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 08:17 AM

Biggest draw back of using two sep tickets - IF there is a problem on the inter island flight which causes you to miss mainland flight, you will be S.O.L.

It is simple enough to get your luggage and recheck it in Oahu.

Can you get the interisland flights, even though they are on Hawaiian on the same itinerary as your mainland flight as that will take care of connection problems. The main carriers issues the tickets and will deal with reschedule if needed.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

That is a good point about missing the connection. I will look into getting the flights on the same itinerary.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 08:41 AM

Another reason to try and get on same itin -- flight times change, especially if this trip is off in the future. Our trip had the flights change a number of time from when we booked until when we left. I had to change our interisland flight due to these changes; I was lucky as I got them to make the change without a fee but I should have had to pay it since we had 2 sep itin/tickets [I did what you are asking about].

I was told that if there was another flight change by mainland carrier, I would have to pay for changes on interisland flights.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 08:51 AM

If you are coming from Kauai to Honolulu, the airlines will check your baggage all the way through.

Is it a huge savings buying 2 tickets? When I play around on Kayak.com it doesn't seem to be a huge difference in pricing, but of course I don't know our dates and where you are coming from.

I would also choose to buy one ticket from your home -Honolulu-Lihue-home. Second choice would be Home-HNL-LIH-Home and get a one way ticket HNL to Lihue.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 02:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to try the idea to get a one way inter island flight and fly home from LIH.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 08:06 AM

another thing to consider is if you will be checking in luggage, if you buy a separate HNL-LIH round trip ticket, Hawaiian Airlines will charge you extra for checked in luggage. check with Hawaiian Airlines how much they charge for this for interisland flights.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 09:34 AM

Good point, fm2tmoon!